Family:Whitney, Abraham Johnson (1778-1862)
Abraham Johnson7 Whitney (James6, Samuel5, Samuel4, Nathaniel3, John2, John1), son of James6 and Eunice (Johnson) Whitney, was born 28 Mar 1778, Newtown, CT, and died 30 Jan 1862, Caton, NY.
He married 22 Nov 1799, Stamford, NY, Philena Adams, daughter of Benjamin and Chloe (Hatch) Adams. She was born 6 Sep 1783, Goshen, CT, and died 26 Nov 1863, Caton, NY.
He was a clothier and wool carder; resided several places in New York, and finally located at Stamford; was in war of 1812. He resided Stamford, NY.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Abraham Johnson Whitney, b. in Newtown, Conn., 28 March 1778; a clothier and wool-carder; settled in Stamford, N.Y., and there married, 22 Nov. 1799, Philena Adams, born in Goshen, Conn., 6 Sept. 1783, dau. of Benjamin and Chloe (Hatch) Adams, of Stamford. They dwelt in Stamford, till 1804; in Danby, N.Y., till the Autumn of 1818; in Spencer, N.Y., till 1819; in Danby again, till 1835; in Corning, N.Y., till 1846; then in Caton, N.Y., where they died (he, 30 Jan. 1862; she, 26 Nov. 1863), and were buried. He served at Sacket's Harbor, N.Y., in the war of 1812."
Children of Abraham Johnson7 and Philena (Adams) Whitney:
i. Alonzo Adams8 Whitney, b. 6 May 1801; m. Fanny Pitts. ii. Chloe Hatch Whitney, b. 27 Feb 1803, Stamford, NY; m. 1 Jan 1826, Danby, NY, Christopher Deyo, a shoemaker, son of Caspar and Susanna (Lily) Deyo, of Coxsackie, NY, where he was born 21 Jun 1801. They dwelt in Danby for one year; eighteen years in Newfield, NY; four years in Andover, NY; and then settled in Caton, NY, where he died 29 Jul 1862. She was living at Caton in Dec 1875. iii. Elozia Gray Whitney, b. 28 Oct 1805, Stamford, NY; d. 23 Sep 1857, Townshend, VT; m. 18 Nov 1827, Danby, NY, Oliver Wilkinson, a farmer, son of Oliver and Olive (Rumson) Wilkinson, of Townshend, VT, where he was born 18 Nov 1795. They settled at Townshend, where she died, 23 Sep 1857, and was buried. He was living there in Jan 1876. iv. James Lewis Whitney, b. 12 Mar 1808; m.(1) Lucy Maria Hall; m.(2) Maria Eldred. v. Eunice Johnson Whitney, b. 22 Jul 1816, Danby, NY; d. 21 Dec 1839, Varna, NY; m. Danby, NY, Isaac Creamer; buried Newfield, NY. vi. Emeline Amanda Whitney, b. 4 Nov 1818, Spencer, NY; m. 17 Jul 1838, Painted Post, NY, Nelson Cowan, son of Robert and Sarah (Rice) Cowan, of Mott's Corners, NY, b. 2 Jul 1816, Cayuga, NY. They settled in Corning, NY, and were living in that town, at Gibson post-office, in Nov 1875. He was then president of the Butler Collier Company, operating in Pittston, PA.
- 1810, Spencer, Tioga Co., NY: Abraham J. Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 16-25, 2 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, and 2 females 0-9.
- 1820, Danby, Tioga Co., NY: Whitney, Johnson, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 18-25, 1 male 10-15, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 16-25, 1 female 10-15, and 1 female 0-9; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Danby, Tompkins Co., NY: Abram J. Whitney, 1 male 70-79, 1 male 50-59, 1 female 40-49, and 2 females 10-14.
- 1840, Painted Post, Steuben Co., NY: Abraham Whitney, 1 male 60-69, 1 male 20-29, 1 female 50-59, and 1 female 20-29; 1 engaged in commerce.
- 1850, Caton, Steuben Co., NY:
27 27 Abraham J. Whitney 73 M - Farmer $2000 Conn. Philena " 66 F - Conn. Lucy M. " 18 F - N.Y.
240 Frame $150 249 Abraham J. Whitney 78 M - - Conn. 1 - 9 Farmer 1 - - - - - - Philena Whitney 71 F - Wife Conn. 1 - 9 - - - - - - - -
1152 1156 E. W. Fuller 34 M - Minister $300 $100 N.Y. Philina Do 31 F - Do Ellen Do 12 F - Do Etna Do 10 F - Do Frank Do 7 M - Do Willie Do 5 M - Do Elizabeth Griswold 34 F - Servant Pa. Deaf Abram Whitney 84 M - Farmer $25 Conn. Philina Whitney 77 F - Conn.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 279.
- Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 279; and pp. 734-735.
1.^ "Abraham Johnson [Whitney], s. [James & Eunice], b. 28 Mar 1776," according to the Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, Newtown 1:52.
Copyright © 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2016, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- Litchfield County, Connecticut
- Goshen, Litchfield County, Connecticut
- Fairfield County, Connecticut
- Newtown, Fairfield County, Connecticut
- New York
- Steuben County, New York
- Caton, Steuben County, New York
- Gibson, Steuben County, New York
- Painted Post, Steuben County, New York
- Delaware County, New York
- Stamford, Delaware County, New York
- Tioga County, New York
- Spencer, Tioga County, New York
- Tompkins County, New York
- Danby, Tompkins County, New York
- Varna, Tompkins County, New York
- Windham County, Vermont
- Townshend, Windham County, Vermont