Family:Whitney, Alexander Nelson (1819-1858)
Alexander Nelson8 Whitney (Jacob7, Jacob6, Abraham5, Abraham4, Moses3, Richard2, John1), son of Jacob7 and Maria (Goldsmith) Whitney, was born 24 Jun 1819, at Madison, IN, and died 20 Ju 1858, Louisville, KY.
He married, 16 Jun 1853, Barre, MA, Elvira Augusta Smith, of Barre, daughter of Jonas and Sophia )-----) Smith. She was born 12 Aug 1824, Barre, MA.
Alexander Nelson Whitney was born in Madison, IN; was a partner in the firm of Lowe & Whitney, wholesale dealers in boots and shoes in Louisville, KY; self-educated; fond of society and music; kind to the poor and unfortunate; one of the pillars in his church; upright and honorable. Was afflicted with rheumatism and consumption, which, after he traveled through the N. W. and the south in endeavoring to regain health, finally caused his death. He, with his mother and two grand sons, lie in Cave Hill cemetery. A few months after his death his widow moved to Madison, IN, and in fall of 1864 to West Philadelphia, PA, where the home still is. He resided Louisville, KY.
Children of Alexander Nelson8 and Elvira Augusta (Smith) Whitney:
i. Nelson Oliver9 Whitney, b. 3 May 1858; m. Mary E. Tainter. ii. Edwin Bane Whitney, b. 28 Apr 1854; d. 16 Sep 1856. iii. Willie Frank Whitney, b. 23 Oct 1855; d. 2 May 1870.
484 484 B. F. Baker 38 M - Merchant NJ Dophenia J. 35 F - PA R. M. 13 F - Indiana Henry F. 11 M - " Fanny F. 8 F - " Sarah E. 6 F - Kentucky Martha Dunn 19 F - Germany Catherine Roch 19 F - " A. N. Whitney 30 M - Clerk Indiana
880 855 Ella Whitney 30 F - $1200 Mass. Willie F. 4 M - Ky. Nelson P. 2 M - S. Carolina Molla Haslet 17 F - House work Ind. Hannah Stewart 17 F - " " "
- 1870, Philadelphia Ward 27, Philadelphia Co., PA:
1044 957 Levy, Archibald 58 M W Real Estate Agt. Georgia Male citizen over 21 -----, Ella A. 20 F W K. H. Massachusetts -----, Ella A. 20 F W At Home Tennessee -----, Carrie 3 F W Pa.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 495.
1.^ "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004; volume 71, page 187.
Copyright © 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- Jefferson County, Indiana
- Hanover, Jefferson County, Indiana
- Madison, Jefferson County, Indiana
- Jefferson County, Kentucky
- Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky
- Worcester County, Massachusetts
- Barre, Worcester County, Massachusetts
- Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
- West Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania