Family:Whitney, Augustus E. (1844-1920)
Augustus E.9 Whitney (Orrin8, William7, Samuel6, Abner5, John4, Isaiah3, Thomas2, John1), son of Orrin8 and Hannah (Farbanks) Whitney, was born 19 Jun 1844, Presque Isle, ME, and died 8 Oct 1920, Brainerd, MN, aged 71 years. He was buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Brainerd, MN.
He married, 17 Oct 1867, Forest City, MN, Jeannette Elizabeth Deputy, daughter of George W. and Serena (Fitzgerald) Deputy. She was born 9 Aug 1849, Jennings County, IN, and died 24 Dec 1928, Minneapolis, MN, aged 79 years. She was buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Brainerd, MN.
They resided in Brainerd, MN.
He served in the Civil War as a Private, Company D, 4th Minnesota Infantry.
Children of Augustus E.9 and Jeannette Elizabeth (Deputy) Whitney:
i. Emma Victoria10 Whitney, b. 5 Jun 1869, North Vernon, IN; d. 24 Sep 1951, Tacoma, WA; bur. Tacoma Mausoleum, Tacoma, WA; m. ca. 1896, Gordon Smiley. ii. George Orrin Whitney, b. 9 Sep 1871, Minneapolis, MN; d. 22 May 1928; bur. Evergreen Cemetery, Brainerd, MN; m. ca. 1895, Cynthia Maude Pierce. iii. Harry Omer Whitney, b. 21 Jun 1876, North Vernon, IN, or MN; d. 31 Dec 1956; bur. Evergreen Cemetery, Brainerd, MN; m. 3 Aug 1900, St. Paul, MN, Mabel Box Squires. iv. Florence Blanche Whitney, b. 5 Oct 1882, Brainerd, MN; d. 18 Sep 1972; bur. Evergreen Cemetery, Brainerd, MN; m. Alfred G. Schnell.
- 1870: not found.
- 1880, Minneapolis, Hennepin Co., MN:
Augustus WHITNEY 36 Self M M W ME Painter ME --- Jeannette E. WHITNEY 31 Wife F M W IN Keeps House VA KY Emma V. WHITNEY 10 Dau F S W IN At Home ME IN George O. WHITNEY 9 Son M S W MN ME IN Harry O. WHITNEY 4 Son M S W MN ME IN Hannah D. WHITNEY 62 Moth F W W ME At Home ME ME Winfield S. WHITNEY 34 Oth M M W ME Painter ME ME Ella WHITNEY 23 Wife F M W MI Keeps House MI MI Bertha WHITNEY 9 Dau F S W MN ME MI Grace WHITNEY 5 Dau F S W MN ME MI Daisy WHITNEY 6M Dau F S W MN ME MI
- 1885 State, Brainerd, Crow Wing Co., MN, p. 8:
753 A. E. Whitney 40 M W Maine Soldier in rebellion Nellie Whitney 35 F W Iowa Emma Whitney 15 F W " George Whitney 13 M W Minn. Blanche Whitney 8 F W "
39 49 Augustus E. Whitney Private D 4 MN Inf 8 Oct 1861 8 Oct 1864 3y [Brainerd, MN]
- 1895 State, Brainerd Ward 3, Crow Wing Co., MN, p. 41/135:
298 Whitney, A. E. 50 M W Maine Paperhanger 12y resident, soldier Whitney, Jonette 45 F W Indiana House-wife Whitney, Emma 26 F W Indiana House-work Whitney, Harry 19 M W Indiana Motorman Whitney, Blanche 12 F W Minn. Attending school
171 180 Whitney, Augustus E. Head W M Jun 1844 55 mar 32 Maine Maine Maine Paper hanger, Owns free house -----, Jennette E. Wife W F Aug 1849 50 mar 32 4ch 4liv Indiana Virginia Indiana -----, Blanche Dau W F Oct 1882 17 sgl Minnesota Maine Indiana
- 1905 State, 507 3d Ave. N.E., Brainerd Ward 3, Crow Wing Co., MN, p. 29: Augustus Whitney, 60, b. ME, Paper hanger; wife Jennette Whitney, 55, b. IN; Blanche Schnell, 22, b. MN; Alfred G. Schnell, 22, b. MN, Express agent.
- 1905 State, 512 2nd Ave. N.E., Brainerd Ward 3, Crow Wing Co., MN, p. 29: George O. Whitney, 33, b. MN, Tin smith; wife Maude Whitney, 28, b. NE.
- 1910, Brainerd Ward 3, Crow Wing Co., MN.
- 1920, Brainerd Ward 3, Crow Wing Co., MN.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 509.
- Census records.
1.^ Minnesota Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990, at FamilySearch.org.
2.^ FindAGrave Memorial #67121236, Augustus E. Whitney.
3.^ Minnesota Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990, at FamilySearch.org.
4.^ FindAGrave Memorial #67121475, Jeanette Elizabeth Deputy Whitney.
5.^ FindAGrave Memorial #54000185, Emma V. Smiley.
6.^ FindAGrave Memorial #67122385, George O. Whitney.
7.^ FindAGrave Memorial #67123543, Harry O. Whitney.
8.^ FindAGrave Memorial #124477720, Florence Blanche Whitney Schnell.
Copyright © 2015, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- Missing from 1870 Census
- Jennings County, Indiana
- North Vernon, Jennings County, Indiana
- Crow Wing County, Minnesota
- Brainerd, Crow Wing County, Minnesota
- Hennepin County, Minnesota
- Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota
- Meeker County, Minnesota
- Forest City, Meeker County, Minnesota
- Pierce County, Washington
- Tacoma, Pierce County, Washington