Family:Whitney, Benjamin (1750-c1825)
From WRGJump to navigationJump to search
Benjamin5 Whitney (Daniel4, Henry3, John2, Henry1), son of Daniel4 and Thankful (Burt) Whitney, was born 1 Jun 1750, Ridgefield, CT, and died 1825 or 1826, Shelby, NY.
He married Orange County, NY, Sarah Ketcham, parentage and birth unknown. She died 1831, Shelby, NY.
Phoenix says the following:
- Benjamin Whitney, b. in Ridgefield, Conn., 1 June 1750; a farmer; married, in Orange Co., N.Y., Sarah Ketcham. He lived in Warwick, N.Y., after 1760, until the close of the Revolutionary War, during which he was one of a company of militia, under Capt. Minthorn. They moved to Romulus, N.Y., and from there to Shelby, N.Y., where he died in 1825 or 6, and she in 1831--both at the house of their daughter, Mrs. Sarah (Whitney) Goldsborough. They were buried in Shelby, at Weatherwax Corners. Tradition tells of his mills and other property at Wyoming, Penn., having been burned at the time of the Wyoming Massacre, but he was then only eighteen years old.
Children of Benjamin5 and Sarah (Ketcham) Whitney:
i. John6 Whitney, b. about 1777, Warwick, NY; m.(1) Mary Sears; m.(2) Magdalena (Wheeler) Walworth. ii. Samuel Whitney, b. 16 Nov 1779, Warwick, NY; m. Hannah Carpenter. iii. James Whitney, b. 10 Feb 1783, Warwick, NY; m. Mary Frisbie. iv. Sarah Whitney, b. 24 Mar 1785, Warwick, NY; m. Robert Gouldsborough. v. Nathan Whitney, b. Warwick, NY; m. Anna Caton. vi. Hannah Whitney, b. Warwick, NY; m. Samuel Todd. vii. Elizabeth Whitney, b. 20 Mar 1790, Warwick, NY; m. Reuben Tooker.
- 1790, Warwick, Orange Co., NY: Benjamin Whitney, 2 males over 16, 4 males 0-15, and 4 females.
- 1800, Warwick, Orange Co., NY: Benjamin Whitney, 1 male over 45, 2 males 10-15, 2 males 0-9, 1 female over 45, 2 females 16-25, and 1 female 10-15.
- 1810, Romulus, Seneca Co., NY: Benjamin Whitny, 1 male over 45, 1 male 16-25, 1 female over 45, and 2 females 16-25.
- 1820, Shelby, Genesee Co., NY: Benjamin Whitney, 1 male over 45 and 1 female over 45; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 63 and pp. 182-184.
1.^ "Benjamin [Whitney], s. Daniel & Thankfull, b. 1 Jun 1750," according to Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, Ridgefield LR1:241.
Copyright © 2007, 2011, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.