Family:Whitney, Benjamin (1764-1832)
Benjamin6 Whitney (Benjamin5, Joseph4, Joseph3, Jonathan2, John1), son of Benjamin5 and Mary (Turner) Whitney, was born 5 May 1764, Pepperell, MA, and died 25 May 1832, Henrietta, NY.
He married, say 1788, Philena Boyce. She was born about 1767, and was living in 1830.
According to Pierce, "served in the Revolutionary war in 1781 for Pepperell when but 17 years of age. His name is found on the Revolutionary war records at the state house in Boston. He was married and resided in Tunbridge, VT, but later moved to Geneseo, NY, finally locating in Boston, MI."
"Benjamin, MA Line, S44045, he appl 29 Aug 1818 in Ontario Co NY aged 54, on 14 Sep 1821 he made aff'dt in Monroe Co NY & stated he had enl at Peperell MA, in 1821 he had a wife aged 54 & 2 daughters at home aged 16 & 14 yrs also a son aged 14 yrs (no names given), he signed as Benjamim the 2nd."
Children of Benjamin6 and Philena (Boyce) Whitney:
i. (son)7 Whitney, b. ca. 1789; living 1800; not in household 1810. ii. (son) Whitney, b. 1790-1800; living 1800; not in household 1810. iii. (son) Whitney, b. 1790-1800; living 1800; not in household 1810. iv. Joseph Whitney, b. ca. 1793, Fort Ann, NY; m.(1) Betsey Hutchinson; m.(2) Jane (Potter) Franklin. v. (son) Whitney, b. 1790-1800; living 1800 and 1810. vi. Affy Whitney, b. ca. 1789, Fort Ann, NY; d. 26 Mar 1841, Harmony, NY; bur. Union Cemetery, Panama, NY; m. ca. 1811, Fort Ann, NY, Daniel Preston. vii. Sarah Ann Whitney, b. ca. 1800; living 1810. viii. (daughter) Whitney, b. about 1805; living 1810 and 1821. ix. (daughter) Whitney, b. about 1807 (twin); living 1810 and 1821. x. Benjamin Whitney, b. about 1807 (twin), Washington Co., NY; living 1810 and 1821. Possibly the same as Benjamin Whitney of Hopewell, Richmond, and Manchester, Ontario Co., NY.
This Benjamin Whitney who married Philnea( Delano or Delana) Boyce filed for a pension in Fort Ann NY. His pension file does not agree with the majority of the one described above. His pension file is W4858. Upon Benjamin's death Delana submitted a request to the Dept of Pensions to continue to draw Benjamin's pension. At that time she was living with one of their sons in Jackson county Michigan. They had moved from Fort Ann to Ohio where Benjamin died in 1833. He is buried in Strongsville, Cuyahoga, Ohio. I have personally been to that cemetery and have talked with the Historical Society to try and find out more information. He has a Daughters of American Colonists Tombstone. I found that the Historical Society has never been able to find any of his descendants. I believe that I descend from him through a daughter Affia Whitney who married the Rev David Preston in Fort Ann. They lived next door to him in Fort Ann. They later were in Chautauqua Co. NY where Affia is buried. She died on 26 Mar 1841.--GAN
- 1790, Lebanon, Grafton Co., NH: Benjamin Whitney, 1 male over 16.
- 1800, Tunbridge, Orange Co., VT: Benjamin Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 10-15, 4 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, and 1 female 0-9.
- 1810, Tunbridge, Orange Co., VT: "Benj" Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 2 females 16-25, 2 females 10-15, and 2 females 0-9.
- 1820, Rush, Ontario Co., NY: Benjamin Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 18-25, 1 male 10-15, 1 female over 45, 2 females 10-15, and 2 females 0-9.
- 1830, Henrietta, Monroe Co., NY: Benjamin Whitney, 1 male 60-69, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 15-19, 1 male 5-9, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 60-69, and 1 female 20-29.
- 1840: not found.
1.^ "Benja[min] [Whitney], Jr., s. Benjamin & w. [Mary], b. May 5, 1764," according to George A. Rice, comp. and ed., Vital Records of Pepperell, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850 (Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1985).
2.^ Find A Grave Memorial #24767120.
3.^ Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 108.
4.^ Virgil D. White, Genealogical Abstracts of Revolutionary War Pension Files, Vol. III (Waynesboro, Tennessee: The National Historical Publishing Company, 1992).
5.^ Find A Grave Memorial #35174154, Affa Whitney Preston.
Copyright © 2007, 2010, 2012, 2018, 2020, Robert L. Ward, Glydie Ann Nelson, and the Whitney Research Group.
- Flagged Pages
- Missing from 1840 Census
- Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Pepperell, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Ionia County, Michigan
- Boston Township, Ionia County, Michigan
- Jackson County, Michigan
- New York
- Livingston County, New York
- Geneseo, Livingston County, New York
- Ontario County, New York
- Rush, Ontario County, New York
- Washington County, New York
- Fort Ann, Washington County, New York
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio
- Strongsville, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
- Orange County, Vermont
- Tunbridge, Orange County, Vermont