Family:Whitney, Benjamin (s1734-1770)
Benjamin Whitney, parentage unknown, was born say 1734, and died 17 Jul 1770, Norwalk, CT.
He married, 3 Jan 1757, Norwalk, CT, Lois Kellogg, daughter of Samuel and Ann (-----) Kellogg. She was born about 1735, and died after 1810, probably Norwalk, CT.
Phoenix says the following:
- . . . Benjamin and Lois (Kellogg) Whitney, of Norwalk, of whose descendants the records were gathered and arranged for this work, under the erroneous impression that he was descended from Henry1 Whitney, while it now seems more likely that he was a descendant of John1 and Elinor Whitney, of Watertown, Mass.
Children of Benjamin and Lois (Kellogg) Whitney:
i. Hannah Whitney, b. 4 Jun 1757, Norwalk, CT; bapt. 10 Jun 1757, Christ Episcopal Church, Stratford, CT; m. Moses Krift of Canaan, CT. ii. Martha Whitney, b. 5 Mar 1759, Norwalk, CT. iii. Samuel Kellogg Whitney, b. 2 Feb 1761, Norwalk, CT; m. Grace Fairweather. iv. Henry Whitney, b. 26 May 1763, Norwalk, CT. He was a merchant and moved to Albany [NY]. v. Anna Whitney, b. 29 Jul 1765, Norwalk, CT. vi. Polly Whitney, b. 1 May 1769, Norwalk, CT; d. 6 Aug 1769, Norwalk, CT. She allegedly m. ----- Scott. vii. Benjamin Whitney, b. 4 Mar 1771, Norwalk, CT; d. 13 Sep 1775, Norwalk, CT.
The chronology makes it possible that Benjamin could have been a son of John4 Whitney, but no evidence to support such a connection has been found.
While researching The Whitney family of Connecticut, David Williams Patterson collected information on this Whitney family. This material is currently located in the Connecticut Historical Society in Hartford, CT and is a bound manuscript of about 150 pages. It has not yet been examined by members of the Whitney Research Group.
Hopkins says the following:
- 573. LOIS,6 dau. of Samuel5 (205), b. -----; m. 3 Jan., 1757, Benjamin Whitney.
- She d. 6 Aug., 1769; he d. 17 July, 1770.
- 1762 Hannah Whitney,7 b. 4 June, 1757; m. Moss Krift.
- 1763 Martha Whitney7 b. 5 Mar., 1759.
- 1764 Samuel Kellogg Whitney,7 b. 2 Feb., 1761; m. Grace Fairweather, dau. of Joseph Fairweather.
- 1765 Henry Whitney7 b. 26 Mar., 1763; merchant; moved to Albany.
- 1766 Anne Whitney7 b. 29 July, 1765.
- 1767 Polly Whitney,7 b. 1 May, 1769; m. Scott.
- 1768 Benjamin Whitney,7 b. 4 Mar., 1771.
- 1790, Norwalk & Stamford, Fairfield Co., CT: Widow Lois Whitney, 3 females.
- 1800, Norwalk, Fairfield Co., CT: Lois Whitney, 1 female over 45.
- 1810, Norwalk, Fairfield Co., CT: Louis Whitney, 1 male 0-9, 2 females over 45, 1 female 10-15, and 1 female 0-9.
1.^ Hall, Rev. Edwin, comp., The Ancient Historical Records of Norwalk, Connecticut (New York, NY: Baker & Scribner, 1847), p. 33. Also, "Benjamin [Whitney], m. Lois KELLOGG, 3 Jan 1757," according to the Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, Norwalk LR18:8.
2.^ Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 1571