Family:Whitney, Bennet (1810-a1880)
Bennet7 Whitney (Aaron Wilkes6, Ebenezer5, David4, Joseph3, John2, Henry1), son of Aaron Wilkes6 and Sarah (Bennett) Whitney, was born 23 Mar 1810, Wilton, CT, and died after 1880.
He "of Fairfield" married, 14 Oct 1836, Suffield, CT, Susan Curtis "of Suffield", daughter of Nathaniel Curtis. She was born 9 Apr 1808, Suffield, CT, and died after 1880.
Phoenix says the following:
- "He lived in Bridgeport, Conn.; removed to Des Moines, Iowa; returned to Bridgeport, where he lived in Ap. 1867; moved to Vineland, N.J.; and in 1874, lived at 107 Neilson Street, New Brunswick, N.J."
Children of Bennet7 and Susan (Curtis) Whitney, all born Fairfield, CT:
i. Eben8 Whitney, b. 22 Oct 1837; m. 23 Apr 1864, on board U. S. transport, Balloon, in Annapolis Harbor, MD, Sarah Amelia Johnson Allen, dau. of George Washington Allen, of Woodstock, Conn., b. 27 Feb 1838. A farmer, he graduated at the Normal School in St. Louis, MO, 1860; continued his studies at Shurtleff College, Upper Alton, IL; was Captain of Company D, 30th Regiment, U.S. Infantry (colored), during its period of service, from 26 Feb 1864 to 10 Dec 1865; and lived at Milltown, NJ, in Jun 1867, without children. ii. Elizabeth Whitney, b. 13 Oct 1839; d. 29 Dec 1839, Fairfield, CT; buried in the old Stratfield burying-ground. iii. George Whitney, b. 29 May 1841; d. 28 Aug 1842, Fairfield, CT; buried in the old Stratfield burying-ground. iv. Sarah Emily Whitney, b. 7 Apr 1843; m. 9 Apr 1867, Bridgeport, CT, Elon Francis Brown, son of Dr. James Brown, b. 4 Aug 1839, Wolcott, NY. They settled at Manchester, NY, where he had the charge of the Manchester Business College. He was a captain in the 45th Regiment, U.S. Colored Troops. v. Henry Whitney, b. 10 Dec 1844; was first-lieutenant in the 45th Regiment, U.S. Colored Troops; and was mustered out, 4 Nov 1865, at Philadelphia, PA. vi. Bennet Curtis Whitney, b. 20 Oct 1846; lived at 48 Church Street, New Brunswick, NJ, in Feb 1874. vii. Jane Elizabeth Whitney, b. 20 Sep 1848. viii. Georgiana Satilla Whitney, b. 31 Dec 1850.
- 1840, Fairfield, Fairfield Co., CT: Bennett Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 0-4, and 1 female 30-39; 1 engaged in manufacture or trades.
- 1850, Fairfield, Fairfield Co., CT
30 35 Bennett Whitney 40 M - Foundry & M Shop $4000 Conn. Susan C. " 42 F - " Eben " 12 M - " Attended school Sarah E. " 7 F - " Attended school Henry " 5 M - " Attended school Bennett " 3 M - " Jane E. " 2 F - "
1974 1853 Bennet Whitney 50 M - Agent pat. warhouse $400 $75 Conn. Susan C. " 52 F - " Sarah " 17 F - School teacher " Attended school Henry " 15 M - " Attended school Bennett C. " 13 M - " Attended school Jane E. " 11 F - " Attended school Georgiana " 9 F - " Attended school
863 1282 Whitney, Bennet 60 M W Machinist $500 Connecticut Male citizen over 21 -----, Susan C. 62 F W Keeping House Connecticut -----, Henry 25 M W Machinist $4000 -- Connecticut Male citizen over 21 -----, Bennet C. 22 M W Machinist Connecticut Male citizen over 21 -----, Jennie E. 21 F W At Home Connecticut -----, Goegia S. 19 F W At Home Connecticut
Bennett WHITNEY 70 Self M M W CT Machinist CT CT Susan WHITNEY 72 Wife F M W CT Keeping House CT CT Henry WHITNEY 35 Son M M W CT Machinist CT CT Bertha WHITNEY 30 DauL F M W ASSAM NY NY Bennett C. WHITNEY 33 Son M S W CT Machinist CT CT Jennie WHITNEY 31 Dau F S W CT CT CT Alice WHITNEY 1 GDau F S W IA CT ASSAM
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), pp. 385-386 and p. 1006-1007.
1.^ "Bennet [Whitney], of Fairfield, m. Susan CURTIS, of Suffield, 14 Oct 1836, by Rev. Nathan WILDMAN," according to the Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, Suffield NB1:375.
Copyright © 2009, 2011, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group
- Fairfield County, Connecticut
- Bridgeport, Fairfield County, Connecticut
- Wilton, Fairfield County, Connecticut
- Hartford County, Connecticut
- Suffield, Hartford County, Connecticut
- Madison County, Illinois
- Upper Alton, Madison County, Illinois
- Polk County, Iowa
- Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa
- Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Saint Louis, Saint Louis City, Missouri
- New Jersey
- Cumberland County, New Jersey
- Vineland, Cumberland County, New Jersey
- Middlesex County, New Jersey
- Milltown, Middlesex County, New Jersey
- New Brunswick, Middlesex County, New Jersey
- New York
- Ontario County, New York
- Manchester, Ontario County, New York
- Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania