Family:Whitney, Chauncey Harris (1805-a1880)
Chauncey Harris6 Whitney (Benjamin5, John4, Henry3, John2, Henry1), son of Benjamin5 and Ann Mercy (Harris) Whitney, was born 17 Mar 1805, Otsego, NY, and died after 1880.
He married firstly, 28 Jan 1827, Mexico, NY, Caroline Matilda Craig, daughter of Joseph Ashby and Mary (McCafferty) Craig. She was born Lebanon, NY, and died Feb 1863, Clinton, NY. She was buried in the Deansville Cemetery, five miles south from Clinton, NY.
He married secondly, 23 Aug 1863, Clinton, NY, Mary Ann Turney, daughter of Benjamin and Mary (Carlisle) Tumey, of Chatham, since of Johnstown, Fulton Co., NY. She was born 24 Feb 1821, Chatham, NY, and died after 1880.
Phoenix says the following:
- Chauncey Harris Whitney, b. in Otsego, N.Y., 17 March 1805; a carpenter and joiner; married, 28 Jan. 1827, in Mexico, N.Y., by Rev. George B. Davis, Baptist, to Caroline Matilda Craig, born in Lebanon, N.Y., dau. of Joseph Ashby and Mary (McCafferty) Craig, who lived in Mexico at the time of her marriage. She died in Clinton, N.Y., Feb. 1863, and was buried in the Deansville Cemetery, five miles south from Clinton. He was married (2d), 23 Aug. 1863, at Clinton, by Rev. Mr. Sterns, Baptist, to Mary Ann Turney, born in Chatham, N.Y., 24 Feb. 1821, dau. of Benjamin and Mary (Carlisle) Tumey, of Chatham, since of Johnstown, Fulton Co., N.Y. He has lived in Belleville, Ellisburgh, Clinton, and Ilion, N.Y.; and when last heard from, in 1874, they had their residence at Newport, N.Y.
Children of Chauncey Harris6 and Caroline Matilda (Craig) Whitney:
i. William Arthur7 Whitney, b. 4 May 1828, Mexico, NY; m. Abigail Arabel Fuller. ii. George Ashby Whitney, b. 6 Jan 1831, Mexico, NY; m.(1) Rebecca Henderson; m.(2) Angeline J. Rice. iii. Mary Melissa Whitney, b. 16 Aug 1835, Mexico, NY; m. Charles Smith Jenks. iv. Joseph Chauncey Whitney, b. 23 Jun 1839, Schroeppel, NY; d. 8 Oct 1846, Ellisburgh, NY; bur. Belleville, in Ellisburgh, NY.
- 1830: not found.
- 1840, Granby, Oswego Co., NY: Chancy Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 10-14, 2 males 5-9, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 20-29, and 1 female 0-4; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Ellisburg, Jefferson Co., NY:
1044 1055 Chauncy Whitney 45 M - Carpenter & Joiner [N.Y.] Caroline " 40 F - [N.Y.] Mary " 14 F - [N.Y.] Attended school
182 Framed $500 188 William Whitney 27 M - - Oswego 1 - 10 Joiner 1 - - - - - - Arabell Whitney 26 F - Wife Vermont 1 - 17 - - - - - - - - Alice Whitney 5 F - Chld - - - 5 - - - - - - - - Charles Whitney 3 M - Chld - - - 3 - - - - - - - - William M. Whitney 7m M - Chld - - - 7m - - - - - - - - 189 Chauncy Whitney 50 M - - Otsego 1 - 10 - 1 - - - - - - Caroline Whitney 45 F - Wife Madison 1 - 10 - - - - - - - -
260 261 C. H. Whitney 52 M - Carpenter N.Y. C. N. " 48 F - " G. A. " 30 M - Carpenter $400 " E. A. " 6 F - " Attended school
133 155 Whitney, Chauncey 65 M W House Carpenter $1000 New York Male citizen over 21 " Mary A. 49 F W Keeps House New York " Hattie E. 6 F W Home New York
Chauncy WHITNEY 75 Self M M W NY Carpenter NY NY Mary WHITNEY 59 Wife F M W NY Keeping House NY NY Harriett WHITNEY 16 Dau F S W NY At Home NY NY
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), pp. 174-175 and pp. 476-477.
Copyright © 2008, 2016, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- Missing from 1830 Census
- New York
- Herkimer County, New York
- Ilion, Herkimer County, New York
- Newport, Herkimer County, New York
- Jefferson County, New York
- Belleville, Jefferson County, New York
- Ellisburgh, Jefferson County, New York
- Oneida County, New York
- Clinton, Oneida County, New York
- Oswego County, New York
- Mexico, Oswego County, New York
- Otsego County, New York
- Otsego, Otsego County, New York