Family:Whitney, David (1722-1802)
David5 Whitney (Thomas4, Thomas3, Thomas2, John1), son of Thomas4 and Mary (Baker) Whitney, was born 4 Oct 1722, Stow, MA, and died 13 Feb 1802, Harvard, MA, aged 75 years [sic], widower, of consumption.
David married firstly, 25 Aug 1747, Harvard, MA Olive Sawyer, daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Wheelock) Sawyer. She was baptized 29 May 1726, Lancaster, MA, and died 19 Aug 1750, Harvard, MA, aged about 24 years.
Marriage intentions for David "of Harvard" and Sarah (Rugg) Hill "of Lancaster" were published 25 Oct 1755, Lancaster, MA. He married secondly, 25 Nov 1755, Harvard, MA, Sarah (Rugg) Hill, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Priest) Rugg, as her second husband. She was born 9 Sep 1728, Lancaster, MA, and died 16 Oct 1800, Harvard, MA. She had married firstly 24 Oct 1752, Lancaster, MA, Enoch Hill.
He Listed under Whetney rather than Whitney.
Pierce says the following:
- He was a prominent resident in Harvard; was a farmer and member of the church. In seating the meeting-house he was given the fifth seat. When the Revolutionary war broke out he was a member of the Harvard Minute men, commanded by Capt. DAVIS, and marched to Cambridge on the Lexington Alarm, Apr. 19, 1775, in Col. WHITCOMB'S regiment. In July, 1777, he was in Capt. Hezekiah WHITNEY's company and Col. Josiah WHITNEY's regiment. Mr. Enoch HILL and Mrs. Sarah RUGG were married in Lancaster, Oct. 24, 1752. They had one child, Anna, b. May 25, 1753, posthumous, for the father, Enoch, died Dec. 11, 1752. Aug. 3, 1761, according to the Worcester probate records, David and Sarah WHITNEY, of Harvard, late widow of said deceased Enoch HILL, "Do hereby resign our rights to Anna HILL only child of said deceased by said Sarah."
See also notes for Sarah, his second wife. He signed a petition on 31 Dec 1746 at Harvard, MA.
There were no children of David5 and Olive (Sawyer) Whitney.
Children of David5 and Sarah (Rugg)(Hill) Whitney, both born Harvard, MA:
i. Enoch6 Whitney, b. 25 Sep 1756; m. 2 Sep 1780, Ashburnham, MA, Hannah Davis "of Ashby". ii. Isaac Whitney, b. 27 Nov 1761; m. Susannah Fletcher.
- 1771, Harvard, MA (tax list): David Whitney, and...
- 1771, Ashburnham, MA (tax list): David Whitney, "nonresident, of Harvard"
- 1790, Harvard, Worcester Co., MA: David Whitney, 1 male over 16 and 1 female.
- 1800, Harvard, Worcester Co., MA: David Whitney, 1 male over 45 and 1 female over 45.
3.^ "David [Whitney], [died] Feb. 13, 1802, a. 75 y. Widr. Consumption. C.R.1," according to Thomas W. Baldwin, ed., Vital Records of Harvard, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850 (Boston, MA: Wright & Potter Printing Co., 1917).
8.^ "David [Whitne] of Harvard and Sarah Hill of Lancaster, int. Oct. 25, 1755. T.R.1," according to Henry S. Nourse, ed., The Birth, Marriage and Death Register, Church Records and Epitaphs, of Lancaster, Massachusetts, 1643-1850 (Lancaster, MA: 1890), p. 35.
9.^ "David [Whitney] and Sarah Hill (of Lancaster, int.), [married] Nov. 25, 1755," according to Harvard Vital Records. See also Frederic W. Bailey, ed., Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800 (1897-1914), 3 vols.