Family:Whitney, Edgar Mortimer (1828-a1880)
Rev. Edgar Mortimer9 Whitney (James Lewis8, Abraham Johnson7, James6, Samuel5, Samuel4, Nathaniel3, John2, John1), son of James Lewis8 and Lucy Maria (Hall) Whitney, was born 20 Jul 1828, Newfield, NY.
He married firstly, 1850, Harriett E. Westcott. She was born about 1829, NY, and died before 1859.
He married secondly, 16 May 1859, Wellsville, NY, Laura Harris, daughter of Eli and Mary (Mulford) Harris, of Lindleytown, NY. She was born about 1841-1842, Lindleytown, NY.
He resided Susquehanna Depot, PA.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Edgar Mortimer Whitney, b. at Newfield, N.Y., 20 July 1828; a minister of the Universalist Church; married, in 1850, Harriett Westcott; married (2d), 16 May 1859, at Wellsville, N.Y., Laura Harris, dau. of Eli and Mary (Mulford) Harris, of Lindleytown, N.Y., where she was born."
Children of Edgar Mortimer9 and Harriett E. (Westcott) Whitney:
i. Nelson M.10 Whitney, b. ca. 1851, Steuben Co., NY. ii. Ada Whitney, b. ca. Dec 1854, Steuben Co., NY.
Children of Edgar Mortimer9 and Laura (Harris) Whitney:
iii. Mary Frances Whitney, b. 19 May 1865, Pekin, IL. iv. Edgar M. Whitney, Jr., b. 29 Apr 1868, Pekin, IL. He married Nellie Rose Howe, daughter of Morris Eli and Emma Julia (Jennison) Howe. Children: Anna Grace Whitney, b. 12 Jun 1894, m. Myran M. Wood; Helen Howe Whitney, b. 6 Aug 1910, m. Samuel McCrae.
28 28 E. M. Whitney 23 M - Waggon Maker $200 N.Y. Harriet E. Whitney 21 F - N.Y.
268 Plank $100 281 Edger M. Whitney 27 M - - Tompkins 1 - 16 Engineer 1 - - - - - - Harriet Whitney 26 F - Wife Chenango 1 - 16 - - - - - - - - Nelson M. Whitney 4 M - Chld Steuben - - 4 - - - - - - - - Ada Whitney 5m F - Chld Steuben - - 5m - - - - - - - -
343 336 E. M. Whitney 32 M - Universalist-Clergy $700 N.Y. Laura 19 F - [N.Y.]
1870 U.S. Census, Illinois, Tazewell County, Pekin, page 39-40/236: 273 284 Sage, Henry 51 M W Builder N.Y. Male citizen over 21 " Angeline D. 36 F W Keeping house Conn. " Eunice 15 F W At home Ill. Attended school " Harvey 76 M W Mass. Male citizen over 21 Sage, Sarah 61 F W At home Canada Parents foreign born Whitney, Edgar M. 41 M W Clergyman N.Y. Male citizen over 21
- 1870, Nelson, Ada, Laura, Mary, and Edgar not found.
- 1880, Morris, Otsego Co., NY:
Edgar M. WHITNEY 47 Self M M W CT Clergyman CT CT Laura WHITNEY 38 Wife F M W NY Keeping House NY NY Mary F. WHITNEY 15 Dau F S W IL At School CT CT Edgar WHITNEY 12 Son M S W IL At School CT CT
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 614.
- Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), pp. 1551-1552; and p. 2244.