Family:Whitney, Edward Philander (1818-1870)
Edward Philander7 Whitney (George Washington6, Ebenezer5, David4, Joseph3, John2, Henry1), son of George Washington6 and Matilda (Olmstead) Whitney, was born 24 Mar 1818, Catharine's, NY, and died 4 Sep 1870, East Venice, NY, where he was buried in the East Venice Cemetery.
He married, 14 Apr 1841, Somers, NY, Harriet Ann Jackson. She was born 8 Nov 1822, NY, and died after 1900.
Phoenix says the following:
- "... a carriage-maker .... He lived in Stamford, Conn., in 1868 .... She was still living at Stamford, in Aug. 1874."
Children of Edward Philander7 and Harriet Ann (Jackson) Whitney:
i. George Edward8 Whitney, b. 14 Jan 1843, Somers, NY; d. after 1877; m. 4 Nov 1869, Stamford, CT, Antoinette Hooker Lockwood, daughter of John D. and Janet (Gray) Lockwood, of Stamford; b. 16 Dec 1845, Stamford, CT; a civil engineer; settled at Stamford, and were living there in Sep 1877, he being then superintendent of the Stamford Water Company. He entered the U.S. Navy, 2 Jun 1862, as engineer; was captured in Florida, 3 May 1864; and remained a prisoner at Macon, Charleston, and Richmond, till paroled in Oct 1864. ii. Sarah Elizabeth Whitney, b. 25 Jan 1844; d. Sep 1844. iii. Ella Matilda Whitney, b. 6 May 1850, New York, NY; d. 13 May 1874, Stamford, CT, where she was buried in St. Andrew's Churchyard, Washington Avenue.
85 102 Edward P. Whitney 31 M - C Trimmer N.Y. Harriett A. " 29 F - " Ellen M. " 1 F - " Julia Sunderland 24 F - "
415 466 Edward P. Whitney 40 M - Carriage Manufacturer $500 New York Harriet A. " 38 F - Do George E. " 18 M - Machinist Do Ellen M. " 10 F - Do Attended school Catherine Jackson 60 F - Do
807 900 Whitney, Edward 52 M W Carriage Manufacturer $18000 -- New York Male citizen over 21 -----, Harriet A. 47 F W Keeping House New York -----, Elly M. 20 F W New York
George E. WHITNEY 37 Self M W W NY Engineer CT NY Edward WHITNEY 7 Son M S W CT Attending School NY NY Harriet WHITNEY 56 Moth F W W NY Keeping House NY NY
60 66 Witney, Geo. E. Head W M Jan 1842 58 wid New York New York Connecticut Supt. Stamford N. Co., Owns mortgaged house -----, Harriett A. Moth W F Mar 1823 76 wid 3ch 1liv New York New York New York
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 390 and p. 1015.
- Census records.
Copyright © 2009, 2020, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group
- Fairfield County, Connecticut
- Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut
- New York
- Cayuga County, New York
- Venice, Cayuga County, New York
- New York County, New York
- New York, New York County, New York
- Schuyler County, New York
- Catharine, Schuyler County, New York
- Westchester County, New York
- Somers, Westchester County, New York