Family:Whitney, Elijah (1814-1873)
Elijah Whitney (Hiram, [probably] Elijah), [probably] Francis, [perhaps] Joshua3, David2, Samuel1) the son of Hiram and Mary Ann (Harris) Whitney, was born 22 Apr 1814, KY, and died 15 Jan 1873, Kensett, White Co., AR.
He married 22 Feb 1842, Fayette Co., TN, Mary Anderson . She was born 6 Jun 1821, TN, and died 12 Dec 1872, Kensett, White Co., AR.
In 1843, Elijah Whitney posted a reward for a runaway slave:
- 15 SEPTEMBER 1843: The Appeal (Memphis)
- Stop JOHN and JESSE!!
- $60 Reward.
- RANAWAY from Elijah Whitney, near Egypt, Fayette county, Tenn., on the 28th August, 1843, a negro boy, JOHN, a mulatto; 20 years of age, 5 ft. 6 or 8 inches high, heavy made—bends a little in walking; polite and quick spoken, countenance good, hair long and rather straight, no marks or scars perceivable, had on a half worn Palm leaf Hat.
- I will give—if taken and confined so I get him, within 50 miles of this place—$25, or $50 if taken over 100 miles.
- Ranaway, also, at the same time, from E.F. Lumsden, a negro man, JESSE, about 35 years old—about 5 feet high, complexion black, large eyes, a scar on the left side of his chin, quick spoken and shrewd rascal; clothes of neither recollected. They no doubt have obtained free papers, and are aiming for a free State. $10 will be given for Jesse.
- ELIJAH WHITNEY,
- E.F. LUMSDEN.
- September 15, 1843
Children of Elijah and Mary (Anderson) Whitney:
i. Mary C. Whitney, b. 3 Dec 1842, TN; m. Charles L. Douthat. ii. Demetra A. Whitney, b. 1 Jun 1844, TN; d. 18 Jan 1866, Kensett, White Co., AR. iii. James K. Whitney, b. 27 Jan 1846, TN; d. 7 May 1907, Kensett, White Co., AR. iv. Ann E. Whitney, b. 1849, TN. v. Elijah Christian Whitney, b. 1849, TN. vi. Adelia Whitney, b. 1853, TN.
1087 1087 Elijah Whitney 38 M - Farmer 1600 Ky. Mary " 28 F - Tenn. Mary C. " 8 " - " Demetra A. " 6 " - " James " 5 M - " Ann E. " 1 F - " Emily " 17 " - Ky.
- 1860: not found.
- 1870, Gray, White Co., AR:
152 151 E Whitney 55 M W Farmer 2000 800 KY Mary 48 F W Keeping house TN Humphries A 20 F B Cook AR Can not read or write Levi Whitney 19 M B Laborers on farm TN " James " 23 M W " 300 100 "
- Census records