Family:Whitney, Ephraim (1780-a1850)
Intentions of marriage were published 24 Oct 1805, Hampden, ME, for him and Zeziah Murfit "both of Number 2". He married, 24 Nov 1805, Hampden, ME, Kesiah Moffat, daughter of Aquilla Moffat, Sr.. She was born 9 Jun 1776, probably in Loudon, Merrimack Co., NH.
She and Ephraim moved to Ohio with her brother Aquilla Moffat, Jr. The Ephraim Whitney household is next door to the Aquilla Moffat household in the 1820 census of Bohman, Tuscawaras Co., OH. Kesiah's father was Aquilla Moffat, Sr., born in Sturbridge, Worcester Co., MA, 18 May 1740. He lived in Brimfield, MA, with two of his brothers about 1760, when he served in the King's colonial army in the French & Indian War; was living in Loudon, NH, area c1769-1796; was town constable 1779-1781; in 1790 census of Loudon. Records of MA State Archives show that he and his two sons were among the founding landowners of Newburgh before 1800 (then still part of MA, later ME) Still living in NH at 1800 census; in Newburgh with Aquilla Jr. at 1810 census (name misspelled). D.A.R. records claim he served as a sergeant during the Revolution but unable to prove. Same record says he died in 1796, which is also incorrect. Birthdate was given to George West Maffet when he was compiling Clan Moffat records as 30 May 1740.
Moved to Tuscawaras Co., OH, about 1817/18. On the 1850 census, Ephraim Whitney, Sr., age 70, was living with his daughter, Eliza (Whitney) Bennett in Tuscawaras Co., OH. He and Kesiah Moffat lived in 1817 in OH.
Children of Ephraim6 and Kesiah (Moffat) Whitney:
i. Ephraim7 Whitney, b. 7 Sep 1807, Newburg, ME; m. Edith Ross. ii. Sylvia Whitney, b. ca. 1812, prob. Newburg, ME; m. Jacob Wright. iii. Amos Whitney, b. ca. 1814, prob. Newburg, ME; m.(1) Matilda Wright; m.(2) Nancy W. Lee. iv. Eliza Whitney, b. ca. 1818, OH; d. after 1850; m. John Bennett.
- 1810, Twp 2 Range 1 [later Hampden], Hancock Co., ME: Whitney, Ephraim, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 16-25, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 16-25, and 1 female 10-15.
- 1820, Dohrman, Tuscarawas Co., OH: Ephraim Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 10-15, 2 males 0-9, 1 female over 45, 1 female 26-44, and 2 females 0-9; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Dohrman, Tuscarawas Co., OH: Ephraim Whitney, Sr., 1 male 40-49, 1 male 15-19, 1 male 10-14, 1 female 15-19, and 1 female 10-14.
- 1840, Nottingham, Harrison Co., OH: Ephraim Whiting, 1 male 60-69 and 1 female 20-29; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Perry, Tuscarawas Co., OH:
2105 2130 John Bennet 34 M - Boatman Pennsylvania Elisa " 31 F - " Silva A. " 6 F - Illinois John E. " 1 M - Ohio Ephraim Whitney 70 M - None $200 Maine
The information concerning Kesiah Moffat and her father Aquilla are provided courtesy of the Clan Moffat Society by written permission.