Family:Whitney, Henry (1824-1868)
Henry7 Whitney (Samuel6, Moses5, Nathaniel4, Nathaniel3, Benjamin2, John1), son of Samuel6 and Margaret (Darrow) Whitney, was born 24 Jun 1824, Belmont, ME or 30 Jun 1825, Morrill, ME, and died 31 Jan 1868, Waldo, ME. He is buried in the Morrill Village Cemetery, Morrill, ME.
He married firstly, about 1849, Emily R. Mears, daughter of George Zeiglar and Elizabeth (Rust) Mears. She was born 9 Jul 1829, and died 9 Jul 1857, Waldo, ME. She is buried in the Morrill Village Cemetery, Morrill, ME.
He married secondly, 24 Dec 1857, Belfast, ME, Sarah Thomas, "both of Waldo", daughter of Benjamin and Prudence S. (Higgins) Thomas. She was born 6 Apr 1831, Lincolnville, ME, and died 2 Jan 1859, Waldo, ME, and is buried in the Morrill Village Cemetery, Morrill, ME.
He "of Waldo" married thirdly, 12 Aug 1863, Waldo, ME, Martha Ellen Merriam "of Morrill", daughter of Elisha and Martha C. (Moore) Merriam of Morrill, ME. She was born 14 Nov 1841, and died 1908, North Yakima, WA. She married secondly, 24 Apr 1869, Waldo, ME, Thomas H. Gurney, "both of Waldo".
He resided Waldo, ME.
Probate notes provided by Larry Tracy, Jr.:
- Kennebunkport, Maine
- FROM THE PROBATE FILES RELATED TO HENRY WHITNEY
- Waldo County Probate, Belfast, Maine
- Case No. 3099, Docket 6, p. 308, Henry Whitney
- Case No. 3100, Docket 6, p. 308, Henry Whitney, child of Henry Whitney
- Case No. 3858, Docket 7, p. 313, Adelbert Whitney, child of Henry Whitney
- WILL OF HENRY WHITNEY OF WALDO - Dated January 25, 1868, the will of Henry Whitney was submitted for probate on the second Tuesday in March of 1868 by Martha E. Whitney, wife of the late Henry Whitney, deceased. The will was proved at a Waldo County Probate hearing on the second Tuesday of April 1868. The testament of Henry Whitney names wife Martha E. Whitney, sons Adelbert and Henry in his bequests. Witnesses: Samuel Kingsbury, Daniel Dutton, Elisha Merriam, Jr. Additionally, on 13 Apr 1868, Martha E. (Ellen) Whitney requested and received approval from the Waldo County Probate Court to grant guardianship of son Henry, a minor under the age of fourteen to Samuel Kingsbury. As guardian of Henry Whitney, minor heir of Henry Whitney, Samuel Kingsbury was granted license on the second Tuesday of June 1869 by the Waldo County Probate Court to sell his inheritance of real estate (about 20 acres) to Thomas H. Gurney. On 13 May 1873 the Probate Court at Belfast placed Adelbert Whitney, minor son of Henry Whitney, deceased, and child under the age of fourteen years, in the guardianship of Gurney. The document evidences the remarriage of Martha E. Whitney to Thomas H. Gurney.
- Note: Henry Whitney thrice married, viz Emily R. Mears, Sarah Thomas and Martha Ellen Merriam. Per census data, Henry, Jr. was born circa 1859, the issue of Henry's second marriage, and Adelbert on 29 May 1864, the issue of his third. The death notice of second wife Sarah appeared in the Belfast, Maine Republican Journal of 14 Jan 1859. The notice stated that Sarah Whitney of Waldo died 2 Jan 1859 at age 29, the 2nd wife of Henry.
Children of Henry7 and Emily R. (Mears) Whitney, if any, unknown.
Children of Henry7 and Sarah (Thomas) Whitney:
i. Henry8 Whitney, b. 15 Nov 1857 (or about 1859); d. 14 Apr 1872; unmarried. He can be found in the 1870 Maine census living in the family of Samuel and Cynthia Kingsbury in Waldo, Waldo Co., ME.
Children of Henry7 and Ellen M. (Merriam) Whitney:
ii. Adelbert8 Whitney, b. 29 May 1864; m. Lena M. Haney.
Notes by Ken Whitney regarding son Adelbert:
They had a child, Adelbert, whose exact date of birth is debatable (mentioned later). But, he was born in Waldo, Maine.
Adelbert Whitney was the son of Henry and Martha Ellen Whitney. However, some records uncovered give differing evidence, but that evidence is suspect, because it does not correspond with the known facts as stated above. Source: Sanders, Helen Fitzgerald, A History of Montana (1913), reprinted in Ancestry.com. This history contains a biography of Adelbert Whitney born about 27 Mar 1867 in Waldo, Waldo Co., Maine, the son of Henry and Sarah Thomas Whitney who married in Belfast Co., ME, 24 Dec 1857. They died leaving Adelbert Whitney an orphan. He never gave his age the same which would seem to highlight his condition. He appears with parents as a 3 year old in the 1870 census. Adelbert married Lena Montez Haney in Belfast, ME, 1891, and they moved to Big Timber, Sweet Grass, MT. Three infant sons died before 1910 in Montana. Lena died 1 Dec 1944 and her husband "Del" Whitney lived until 17 Feb 1957.
Here we have a problem with his mother, who was the second wife of Henry, and who died 2 Jan 1859, possibly during or shortly after the birth of son Henry. Adelbert was the son of Martha Ellen, and as stated above was born in 1867. Or, was he? Pierce's work says he was born in 1864, and the 1870 census for Waldo Co., Maine indicates the same. To complicate matters even more, on 12 Sep 1918, Adelbert filled out a Draft Registration Card for World War I. On it he states he is 45 years old, born 29 May 1873.
I believe that Adelbert was born 29 May 1864, but admit that I could be wrong.
89 93 Henry Whitney 25 M - Millman $1100 Maine Emily R. " 21 F - "
423 423 Samuel Kingsbury 42 M - Farmer $1500 $385 Mass. Cyrena " 38 F - Maine Cyntha " 15 F - " Attended school Maria " 13 F - " Attended school Henry Whitney 1 M - " 424 424 Henry Whitney 39 M - Farmer $800 $150 "
28 31 Kingsbry, Samuel 51 M W Farmer $1000 $500 Massachustts Male citizen over 21 -----, Cynthia 48 F W Keeping House Maine Whitney, Henry 11 M W $400 -- Maine Attended school
1 1 Gurney, Thomas H. 30 M W Farmer $3000 $1000 Maine Male citizen over 21 Gurney, Ellen M. 28 F W Keeping House $1200 $50 Maine Whitney, Adelbert 6 M W $350 Maine Attended school Gurney, Ida E. 4 F W Maine Attended school
Thomas H. GURNEY 40 Self M M W ME Farmer MA ME Hellen M. GURNEY 38 Wife F M W ME Keeping House ME ME Ida E. GURNEY 13 Dau F S W ME At School ME ME Thomas GURNEY 69 Fath M W W MA MA MA Adelbert WHITNEY 16 SSon M S W --- At School --- ---
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 408.
- Robinson, Morse, and White, A Genealogical History of Morrill, Maine.
1.^ "Henry Whitney and Sarah Thomas, both of Waldo, 24 December 1857 in Belfast," according to Mosher and Maresh, eds., Marriage Records of Waldo County, Maine prior to 1892 (Camden, ME: Picton Press).
2.^ "Henry [Whitney] of Waldo and Sarah Thomas of Waldo, [married] Dec. 24, 1857," according to Alfred Johnson, ed., Vital Records of Belfast, Maine, to the Year 1892 (Boston, MA: Maine Historical Society, 1917), vol. II, p. 465-466.
3.^ "Henry Whitney of Waldo and Martha E. Merriam of Morrill, 12 August 1863 in Waldo," according to Mosher and Maresh, eds., Marriage Records of Waldo County, Maine prior to 1892 (Camden, ME: Picton Press).
4.^ "Thomas H. Gurney and Martha E. Whitney, both of Waldo, 24 April 1869 in Waldo by Samuel Kingsbury, Esq.," according to Mosher and Maresh, eds., Marriage Records of Waldo County, Maine prior to 1892 (Camden, ME: Picton Press).