Family:Whitney, Hiram (1815-1879)
Hiram7 Whitney (James6, Richard5, Richard4, Richard3, Richard2, John1), son of James6 and Susan (Whitney) Whitney, was born 19 Mar 1815, Harvard, MA, and died 6 Jul 1879, Harvard, MA, aged 64 years of chronic gastritis, or aged 64 years 3 months 25 days, of dyspepsy and pneumonia.
He married firstly, 11 May 1843, Charlestown, MA, Sophia A. Ingalls, daughter of Isaiah and Sophia (Perley) Ingalls. She was born 1 Aug 1816, Bridgton, ME, and died 1 Jan 1860, Harvard, MA, aged 42 years 5 months 9 days, of stoppage.
He married secondly, 10 Sep 1861, Harvard, MA, Martha Ann8 Whitney, daughter of Jacob7 and Hannah6 (Whitney) Whitney. She was born about 11 Dec 1831, Harvard, MA, and died 11 Feb 1884, age 53 years, 1 month, 28 days, or 14 Feb 1884, aged 53 years 2 months, of renal disease.
He was born in Harvard, where he always resided, and was highly esteemed and respected by his fellow citizens. From 1866 to to his death he held the office of town clerk; from 1874 to 79 was selectman and from 1877 to 79 was a member of the library committee. Edward W. Houghton was executor of his will, and in it he mentioned the following nephews and nieces: Sally W. Taylor, Brighton; Mrs. Luther Whitney, Concord; Mrs. Alfred Whitney, Charlestown; George Whitney, Phila., Samuel Whitney, New York; James Whitney, New York; Willie Whitney, Fitchburg; Love Batchelor, Boxboro; Harriet Parker, Coleraine; George Livermore, -----, Vermont. He resided Harvard, MA.
Hiram7 and Sophia A. (Ingalls) Whitney had no known children.
Hiram7 and Martha Ann (Whitney) Whitney had no known children.
Identification of nephews and nieces from his will:
- Sally W. Taylor, Brighton: (not a niece) sister Sally Turner (Whitney) Taylor.
- Mrs. Luther Whitney, Concord: wife of son of brother Richard Whitney.
- Mrs. Alfred Whitney, Charlestown: wife of son of brother Richard Whitney.
- George Whitney, Philadephia: unknown. Not found in 1860, 1870, or 1880 censuses there.
- Samuel Whitney, New York: son of brother James Whitney.
- James Whitney, New York: son of brother James Whitney.
- Willie Whitney, Fitchburg: son of brother James Whitney.
- Love Batchelor, Boxboro: probably daughter of sister Rachel (Whitney) Batchelor.
- Harriet Parker, Coleraine: daughter of sister Rachel (Whitney) Batchelor.
- George Livermore, VT: son of sister Lucy (Whitney) Livermore.
None seems to be related to his wife Martha A. (Whitney) Whitney.
1707 2420 Hiram Whitney 35 M - Dentist Mass. Sophia A. " 33 F - Me. Serena Sanford 15 F - N.S. James P. Ingalls 23 M - Me.
554 738 Geo. Van Buskirk 32 M - Car Painter N. York Ruth " 42 F - Conn. Mary J. Swift 21 F - " Ellen W. " 17 F - " 554 739 Chas. Smith 46 M - Rigger Palermo Spain Salome " 47 F - Mass. Henry M. " 7 M - " Hiram Whitney 40 M - Dentist " Sophia A. " 39 F - Maine Mary Abbott 22 F - Mass.
198 227 Hiram Whitney 45 M - Dentist $2700 $2000 Mass. Mary A. Patch 36 F - " John W. " 13 M - " Attended school
51 61 Hiram Whitney 50 M - Massachusetts M Farmer - - 1 1 - Martha A. Whitney 34 F - Massachusetts M Housekeeper - - - - - Elizabeth Whitney 72 F - Massachusetts W " - - - - -
273 302 Whitney, Hiram 55 M W Farmer $3000 $6000 Mass. Male citizen over 21 -----, Martha A. 39 F W Keeping House Mass.
Martha A. WHITNEY 49 Self F W W MASS Keeping House MASS MASS J. Milton WHITNEY 64 Bro M S W MASS Agent Tire MASS MASS
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), pp. 326-327.
1.^ "Hiram [Whitney], s. of James and Susan, [born] Mar. 11, 1815," according to Thomas W. Baldwin, ed., Vital Records of Harvard, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850 (Boston, MA: Wright & Potter Printing Co., 1917).
5.^ "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004; volume 131, page 117 and 1860 Mortality Schedule.