Family:Whitney, Hiram C. (1805-1839)
He married, 20 Sep 1827, Blount County, AL, Minerva Jones, daughter of Wallis/Wallace and Susannah/Susan (Beavert) Jones. She was born 14 Feb 1810, SC, and died 9 Feb 1895, Oakman, Walker County, AL.
Minerva (Jones) Whitney married, second, before 1844, Thomas L. Reed.
Although Hiram's parentage has not yet been identified, DNA analysis has shown that he is a descendant of or otherwise genetically related to Samuel1 Whitney of Bermuda. Hiram had a brother named Isaac L. Whitney.
Hiram C. Whitney lived in Blount County, AL, from about 1825-1826 to 1837-1838. The family then moved to Walker County, AL. He was still residing in Blount County, AL, when he witnessed the following deed for the sale of a mill in Red Hill, Blount County, AL:
- The State of Alabama
- Blount County
- The forgoing deed and certificate was filed in my office for record on the 9th day of January in the year of our Lord 1836 and was duly recorded. Test: J. P. :Thomas Clerk
- This indenture made and entered into by and between Russel Nobles of first part and John Johnson of the second part and Hugh Henry of the third part all of the County of Blount and State of Alabama... this 29th day of December 1835.....the said Russel Nobles is milling and desirous to secure ...the following property...one
- improvement Laying in the Cherokee Nation and
- in limits of Blount County Browns Valley about
- one mile the Red Hill....and on the road leading
- from Deposit to Blountsville... sum of $50.00 to
- be paid with interest...on or vefore the third
- Monday in March..and virtue in witness we set our
- hands and seals
- this 29th Day of December 1835.
- A. G. Henry
- H. C. Whitney
- Russel Nobles
- John Johnson
- Hugh Henry
- Personally appeared before me John P Thomas Clerk of the Count Court of said County the above named A. G. Henry one of the subscribing witnesses to the aforegoing deed...and that he saw the other subscribing witness H. C. Whitney sign the same in the presence of Rusel Nobles....Given under my hand and seal of office..this
- thirteenth Day of January in the year of our Lord 1836.
- Test: J. P Thomas Clerk.
Hiram Whitney purchased land in Walker Co., AL, from Daniel Payne, the nephew of Ruth (Payne) Whitney, wife of William O. Whitney (need to get date and details).
Children of Hiram C. and Minerva (Jones) Whitney:
i. Isaac Marion Whitney, b. 24 Jun 1830, AL; d. 6 Aug 1902, Newtonville, Fayette County, AL. ii. Susannah Minerva Whitney, b. 1834, AL; d. 30 Dec 1862, Walker County, AL. iii. Elizabeth L. Whitney, b. 25 Apr 1835, AL; d. 8 Jan 1894, Craighead County, AR. iv. Elhannan William "Toney" Whitney, b. Feb 1838, AL; d. 23 Dec 1905, Greene County, AR.
Children of Thomas L. and Minerva (Jones)(Whitney) Reed:
i. Margrett Catherine Reed, b. 5 Mar 1843, AL; d. 1933, AL; m. Thomas R. Shephard. ii. Reuben C. Reed, b. 26 Dec 1845, AL; d. 10 Jan 1924. iii. Mary Ann Rebecca Reed, b. 1848, AL. iv. James K. Polk Reed, b. 1850, AL; d. 25 Feb 1920, AL. v. George M. D. Reed, b. ca. 1853, AL. vi. Frank P. Reed, b. ca. 1855, AL; d. after 1880.
Also listed with the family in 1850 was Marion Whitney, son of Hiram's brother.
- 1820: not found., probably residing with parents.
- 1830, Blount Co., AL: Hiram C. Whitney, 2 males 20-30, 1 male under 5, 1 female 40-50, 1 female 20-30, 1 male slave 36-55, 6 people total.
- 1840, Walker Co., AL: Minerva Whitney, 1 male 5-10, 1 male under 5, 1 female 20-30, 2 females 5-10.
- 1850, District 12, Walker Co., AL: Thomas L. Reed.
- 1860, P.O. Jasper, Western District, Walker Co., AL:
101 101 Thos. S. Reed 47 M - Farmer $300 [S.C.] Minerva " 50 F - Domestic " S. M. Whitney 26 F - Ala. Margaret C. Reed 17 F - " Reuben C. Reed 15 M - Ala. Mary A. R. " 13 F - " Jas. R. P. " 9 M - " Geo. M. D. " 7 M - " Attended school Frank P. " 5 M - "
- 1870, Wolf Spring, Lawrence Co., AL:
Thomas L Reed 57 SC Manerva Reed 60 SC
- 1880, Lawrence Co., AL:
Thomas S. Reed 67 NC Mineravi Reed 71 SC Catharine Shephard 36 Thomas R. Shephard 15 John. H. Shephard 12 Jane P. Shephard 9 Rebbeca Stephenson 32 Frank P. Reed 24 Dick Mc Clellan 19
1.^ The Southern Reporter by West Publishing Company (1898), Volume 24, page 259. The Supreme Court of Alabama. I. M. Whitney and E. W. Whitney vs. The Jasper Land Company (29 October 1898). Exhibit A: A copy of the will of Hiram C. Whitney and subsequent probate proceedings (dated 7 December 1839) in Jasper, Walker County, AL.
2.^ Blount County Alabama Marriage Records, Certificate No. 252, Certified by Phillip D. Clack, Justice of the Peace, Blount County, AL.
3.^ Blount County Alabama Land Records, Deed Book B, Pages 112-113.
- Census records.
- Bible records.
- Cemetery records.