Family:Whitney, Isaac Lewis (1817-1849)
Isaac Lewis7 Whitney (James6, Stephen5, Abraham4, Joseph3, John2, Henry1), son of James6 and Margaret (Lewis) Whitney, was born 22 Apr 1817, Poundridge, NY, and died 23 Aug 1849, Montgomery Street, Albany, NY, where he was buried in the Albany Rural Cemetery.
He married, 23 Oct 1838, Lawrence Street, Albany, Elizabeth Turner, daughter of Peter and Sarah (Dimond) Turner. She was born 3 Oct 1816, Watervliet, NY, and died after 1892.
Phoenix says the following:
- "... moved with his mother, about 1829, to Dewitt, N.Y., and thence, when about twenty-one years old, to Albany, N.Y., where he was employed as a salesman .... She was still living, with her children, at 6 Tivoli Street, Albany, in 1874."
Children of Isaac Lewis7 and Elizabeth (Turner) Whitney:
i. Margaret Louise8 Whitney, b. 20 Oct 1839, Lawrence Street, Albany, NY; m. 3 Feb 1857, Albany, NY, William Leonard Yates, son of John and Maria (Medler) Yates, b. 30 May 1830, New Hackensack in Fishkill, NY. They lived at New Hamburgh, NY, for one year and eight months; then settled at 6 Tivoli Street, Albany; and were living there in Aug 1874, when he was a letter-carrier in the Albany post-office. ii. James Lewis Whitney, b. 20 Nov 1841, Lawrence Street, Albany, NY; d. aft. 1892; was living at 6 Tivoli Street, Albany, in Aug 1874, unmarried; a fireman on the N.Y.C.&H.R. Railroad. iii. Solomon Whitney, b. 23 Jan 1843, Lansing Street, Albany, NY; d. 27 Jan 1846, Albany, NY, and was buried in the Albany Rural Cemetery.
- 1840, Albany Ward 5, Albany Co., NY: Isaac Whitney, 1 male 20-29, 1 female 20-29, and 1 female 0-4.
- 1850, Albany Ward 7, Albany Co., NY:
347 474 Elizabeth Whitney 36 F - N.Y. Illiterate Margret " 11 F - do James " 8 M - do Attended school Thomas Carler 35 M - Carpenter do
- 1860: not found.
- 1870, Watervliet, Albany Co., NY:
1173 1238 Whitney, James 28 M W Fireman Eng. (R.R.) New York Male citizen over 21 " Elizabeth 53 F W Keeping House New York 1239 O'Kriff, Danl. 50 M W Laborer Ireland Parents foreign born, Illiterate, Male citizen over 21 " Margt 45 F W Keeping House Ireland Parents foreign born " Cath 13 F W New York Parents foreign born, Attended school " Elizabeth 6 F W New York Parents foreign born, Attended school " Margt 3 F W New York Parents foreign born " John 1 M W New York Parents foreign born
26 Frame $1500 44 James L. Whitney 32 M - ---- Albany m Fireman N.Y.C.R.R. 1 - - - - Elizabeth Whitney 59 F - Moth Albany w Keeping House 45 William Scrafford 31 M - ---- Albany m Car Man - 1 - - - - Mary Scrafford 33 F - Wife Albany m Keeping House William D. Scrafford 2 M - Chld Albany - - Levi Scrafford 26 M - Bds Albany m Car Man - 1 - - - - Annie E. Percy 14 F - Bds Albany s -
Elizabeth WHITNEY 63 Self F W W NY IRE IRE James WHITNEY 38 Son M W NY Fireman IRE NY
Elizabeth Whitney F 75 - U.S. C. James L. Whitney M 50 - U.S. C. R.R. fireman
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 423 and p. 1064.
Copyright © 2009, 2021, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group