Family:Whitney, Jeremiah (1767-1843)
Jeremiah6 Whitney (Hezekiah5, Hezekiah4, Joseph3, John2, Henry1), son of Hezekiah5 and Sarah (Taylor) Whitney, was born 29 Aug 1767, CT, and died 4 Apr 1843, Shelby, NY.
He married 1788, Elizabeth Underhill, "of Oswego Friends Meeting, in Dutchess Co., N. Y." She was born 5 Oct 1762 or 1772, Somers, NY, and died December 1852, Fairport, NY, aged 80 years.
Phoenix says the following:
- He was a farmer, and lived in several places; at one time, in Rosendale, N.Y., but principally at Modena (before 1820) and Plattekill Forest. He dwelt in Plattekill, N.Y., from 1830 to 1837, when he moved to Shelby, N.Y. He settled on a fine farm, near the east border of the town of Shelby, about a mile south of Millville. He died 4 Ap. 1843, and was buried, 6 April, in a Friends' Cemetery at Millville; and has since been moved to a Friends' Cemetery just east of his farm, on the opposite side of the road. His widow returned to Plattekill, and lived for several years with her daughter, Prudence Whitney, but finally went back to Western New York, and died at the house of her son, Jesse Whitney, in Fairport, N.Y., in December 1852, aged 80 years, and was buried beside her husband, in the Friends' Cemetery at Shelby. She was a very acceptable preacher in Friends' meeting.
Children of Jeremiah6 and Elizabeth (Underhill) Whitney:
i. Prudence7 Whitney, b. 25 Feb 1789, Plattekill, NY; d. Oct 1852, Fairport, NY, unmarried. She "went with her parents, to Shelby, N.Y., in 1837; returned, with her mother, in 1843, after the death of her father, to Plattekill, N.Y., and remained there for several years; but finally went west again, and died at the house of her brother, Jesse Whitney, at Fairport, NY, in "Oct. 1852, aged 63 years," and was buried near her father, in the Friends Cemetery at Shelby. For many years she bore with exemplary patience and resignation, the helplessness and suffering caused by the disease, articular rheumatism, which finally brought about her death." ii. Anna Whitney, b. 7 Feb 1791, Westchester Co., NY; m. James Merritt. iii. Sarah Ann Whitney, b. 6 Mar 1794, Ulster Co., NY; m. Harman Terwilliger. iv. Jessee Whitney, b. 29 Apr 1796, Cornwall, NY; m.(1) Eveline Simkins; m.(2) Harriet (McKinstry) Simkins. v. (child) Whitney, b. 12 Oct 1797 (twin), Plattekill, NY; d. aged 2 weeks. vi. (child) Whitney, b. 12 Oct 1797 (twin), Plattekill, NY; d. aged 3 weeks. vii. James Whitney, b. 17 Aug 1800, Newburgh, NY; m. Sally Ann Coutant. viii. William Whitney, b. 30 Dec 1803, New Paltz, NY; m. Almira Ann Gates. ix. Jeremiah Whitney, b. 15 Mar 1810, New Paltz, NY; m.(1) Catharine Palmer; m.(2) Mary St. Clair Delano. x. Elizabeth Whitney, b. 10 Dec 1812, Plattekill, NY; d. 28 Apr 1815, Plattekill, NY. xi. Zadok Whitney, b. 30 Sep 1814, Plattekill, NY; m. Eliza Ann Curtis.
- 1790, York, Westchester Co., NY: Jeremiah Whitney, 2 males over 16, 1 male 0-15, and 2 females.
- 1800, New Cornwall, Orange Co., NY: Jeremiah Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 2 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 2 females 10-15, and 1 female 0-9.
- 1810, Thompson, Sullivan Co., NY: Jeremiah Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 16-25, 2 males 10-15, 2 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 16-25, and 1 female 10-15.
- 1820, Plattekill, Ulster Co., NY: Jeremiah Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 0-9, 1 female over 45, 2 females 26-44, and 3 females 16-25; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Plattekill, Ulster Co., NY: Jeremiah Whitney, 1 male 60-69, 1 male 50-59, 2 males 20-29, 1 male 15-19, 1 female 50-59, 1 female 40-49, 1 female 15-19, and 1 female 10-14.
- 1840: not found.
- 1850, Perinton, Monroe Co., NY:
390 390 Jesse Whitney 53 M - Farmer $1000 Newyork Evelina Whitney 45 F - " William Whitney 31 M - Farmer " Lorenzo Whitney 29 M - " " Eliza J. Whitney 27 F - " Albert Whitney 21 M - Farmer " Sarah Whitney 17 F - " Attended school Mary Whitney 10 F - " Attended school Elizabeth Whitney 78 F - " Prudy Whitney 60 M - " Mary Calkins 20 F - Canada Ann Kinyon 48 F - Ireland
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 124 and pp. 347-349.
Copyright © 2007, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group
- Missing from 1840 Census
- New York
- Dutchess County, New York
- Monroe County, New York
- Fairport, Monroe County, New York
- Orange County, New York
- Cornwall, Orange County, New York
- Orleans County, New York
- Millville, Orleans County, New York
- Shelby, Orleans County, New York
- Ulster County, New York
- Modena, Ulster County, New York
- New Paltz, Ulster County, New York
- Newburgh, Ulster County, New York
- Plattekill, Ulster County, New York
- Rosendale, Ulster County, New York
- Westchester County, New York
- Somers, Westchester County, New York