Family:Whitney, Jeremiah (s1756-a1830)
He married, date and place unknown, Sarah Lee, parentage and birth unknown. She died 25 Dec 1809, in Dutchess Co., NY.
He married secondly, after 1809, place unknown, Sarah Irena Stephens, parentage unknown. She was born between 1770 and 1780, and died after 1830.
Phoenix says the following:
- Jeremiah Whitney, a farmer; married Sarah Lee, who died 25 Dec. 1809; married (2d) Sarah Irena Stephens. It is said that he lived east of Carmel, N.Y., while others report his place of residence as Frederickstown, N.Y. Both traditions may, however, refer to the same place, as Carmel, Kent, Patterson and Southeast were all formed from the old Frederickstown, 7 March 1788. It is also said that he lived in Fishkill, N.Y.; he certainly dwelt in its vicinity, possibly in Kent or Patterson. He died, and was buried, in Dutchess Co., N.Y.; but the position of his grave is unknown to his descendants.
Children of Jeremiah5 and Sarah (Lee) Whitney:
i. Joseph Lee6 Whitney, b. 15 Sep 1785, Dutchess Co., NY; m. Phebe Mead. ii. Jeremiah Whitney, b. 17 Jun 1787, Fishkill, NY; m. Susan Resseguie. iii. Betsey Whitney, b. 1788, Dutchess Co., NY; m. Stephen Jayne; settled in Tennessee. iv. Sarah Whitney, b. 17 Apr 1790, Dutchess Co., NY; m. William Newton; m.(2) Bartholomew Tarney. v. Margaret Whitney, b. 1794, Dutchess Co., NY; m. Seth Chase; and lived in Indiana.
Jeremiah5 and Sarah Irena (Stephens) Whitney had no children.
- 1790, Fishkill, Dutchess Co., NY: Jeremiah Whitney Jr, 1 male over 16, 1 male 0-15, and 3 females.
- 1800, Frederick, Dutchess Co., NY: Jeremiah Whitney Junr, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 2 females 10-15, and 1 female 0-9.
- 1810, Beekman, Dutchess Co., NY: Jeremiah Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 10-15, and 2 females 0-9.
- 1820, Fishkill, Dutchess Co., NY: Jeremiah Whitney, 1 male over 45, 2 males 18-25, 1 male 10-15, 1 female over 45, 1 female 16-25, and 1 female 10-15; 3 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Fishkill, Dutchess Co., NY: Jeremiah Whitney, 1 male 60-69, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 15-19, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 50-59, and 1 female 20-29.
- 1840: not found.
- 1850: not found.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 112 and pp. 322-323.