Family:Whitney, Joel (1743-1791)
Marriage intentions were published 12 Sep 1765, Gorham, ME, for him and Mary Weston "of Falmouth". He "of Gorham" married, 26 Sep 1765, Cape Elizabeth, ME, Mary Weston, daughter of Joseph and Hannah (Parker) Weston.
He was also known as Capt. Joel Whitney. At a court held 17 Nov 1773, Joel Whitney, Plff, Peter McGee Def't; judgment was rendered for the plff. for debt and cost, in all £2, 14s, 1d. (Joel was father of late Capt. Ephraim Whitney of Jonesboro; Ed.). Capt. Joel Whitney appears among a list of customers in Nathan Longfellow's store, 17 Nov 1773, Jonesboro, ME.
Pierce says the following:
- He was born in the old town of York, Me., married at Falmouth, now Portland, and about 1767 moved to Chandler's River, now the town of Jonesboro, Me., where he afterward resided and where he died. It is said they had two daughters and eight sons and that their descendants are scattered from the Atlantic to the Pacific. He was always a farmer.
Children of Joel5 and Mary (Weston) Whitney:
i. Mary6 Whitney, b. 14 Sep 1766, Gorham, ME; d. 3 May 1828, Saint Stephen, NB, Canada; m. 2 Sep 1792, Machias, ME, or 19 Nov 1792, Jonesboro, ME, Abner Hill, both "of Plantation No. 22". She was also known as Polly Whitney. Abner was b. 24 Feb 1772, Machias, ME, the son of Japhet Hill. Mary d. 3 May 1829, St. Stephen, NB, and Abner d. 22 Nov 1850, Machias, ME. They had ten children, all b. St. Stephen, NB. ii. Hannah Whitney, b. 25 Dec 1768, Chandler's River, ME; d. 23 Jun 1842, Webster, NY; m. 12 Sep 1783, or Dec 1783, Machias, ME, Paul Adkins Knight, bapt. 22 June 1762, Scarborough, ME, son of Capt. Jonathan and Mary (Adkins) Knight, both "of Chandler River". Paul d. 17 Apr 1834, Calais, ME. They had eighteen children. Note: Early Jonesboro Families of Washington Co., ME, by Tibbetts & Lamson, has a record that Hannah was buried in Calais, ME on 1 Feb 1856.) iii. Captain Ephraim Whitney, b. 7 Nov 1770, Chandler's River, ME; m. Sarah Noyes. iv. Reuben Whitney, b. 7 Nov 1772, Chandler's River, ME; m. Hannah Stetson. v. Joel Whitney, b. 5 Feb 1775, Chandler's River, ME; d. 22 Dec 1775, Chandler's River, ME. vi. Daniel Whitney, b. 4 Feb 1776, Chandler's River, ME; m. Nancy -----. vii. Joel Whitney, b. 26 Jun 1778, Chandler's River, ME; m. Anna Moore. viii. Joseph Whitney, b. 26 Jun 1778, Chandler's River, ME; d. 17 Mar 1781, Chandler's River, ME. ix. Lucy Whitney, b. 20 Jan 1781, Chandler's River, ME; d. 30 Mar 1781, Chandler's River, ME. x. Joseph Whitney, b. 31 Oct 1782, Chandler's River, ME; d. 18 May 1850; resided Calais, ME, 1820. xi. Paul Whitney, b. 10 Jan 1785, Chandler's River, ME; m. Catherine Barker. xii. Abel Whitney, b. 21 May 1787, Chandler's River, ME; d. after 1860, apparently unmarried. xiii. Joshua Whitney, b. 3 Jan 1791, Jonesboro, ME; m. Melissa Patten.
- 1790: Plantation W. of Machias, Washington Co., ME: Joel Whitney, 3 males over 16, 5 males 0-15, and 3 females.
- 1820, Calais, Washington Co., ME: Jos. Whitney, 2 males 26-44, 5 males 18-25, and 1 female 16-25; 1 foreigner not naturalized, 2 engaged in agriculture, and 2 in commerce. This was his son Joseph.
- 1820, Jonesborough, Washington Co., ME: Abel Whitney, 1 male 26-44. This was his son Abel.
- 1830, Calais, Washington Co., ME: Joseph Whitney, 2 males 40-49, 5 males 20-29, 1 male 15-19, and 2 females 20-29.
- 1830, son Abel not found.
- 1840, sons Joseph and Abel not found.
- 1850, Jonesboro, Washington Co., ME:
45 51 Porter Whitney 32 M - Lumberman $300 Maine Ephriam " 80 M - None " Sarah " 71 F - " Clarissa " 34 F - " Able " 64 M - None "
This is his son Abel living with his brother Ephraim and nephew Porter.
708 731 Malcolm McFarline 39 M - Merchant $3500 $600 N.B. Nancy V. McFarline 38 F - Maine Albridge Robinson 16 M - N.B. Attended school Abel Whitney 72 M - Maine Cassia Mulheim 16 F - Servant N.B.
This is his son Abel, living with his niece Nancy V. (Whitney) McFarlane, daughter of brother Ephraim.
- 1870, son Abel not found.
- Whitney, Kenneth L., The Ancestors and Descendants of Ebenezer Whitney and Dorcas Drury Parlin (Silver Spring, MD: The author, 2003).
3.^ "Joel [Whitney], with Mary Weston, of Falmouth, [intentions] Sept. 12, 1765," according to Marquis Fayette King, comp., Publishments, marriages, births and deaths from the earlier records of Gorham, Maine (Portland, ME: Maine Genealogical Society, 1897).
4.^ "[Sept.] 26, [1765.] Joel Whitney and Mary Weston, he of Gorham," according to Charles Burleigh, Esq., "Marriages in Falmouth (Cape Elizabeth), Solemnized by Rev. Ephraim Clark, Pastor 2d Parish," Maine Historical and Genealogical Recorder, vol. 3 (Portland, Me.: S.M. Watson, 1886), p. 102.
6.^ "Polly [Whitney] and Abner Hill, both of Plantation No. 22, [married] 2 Sep. 1792," according to Jackman, Beulah G., Earliest records of Machias, Maine (1767-1837) (Concord, NH: Published by Beulah G. Jackman, [1937?]).
7.^ "H. Whitney and Paul Knight, both of Chandler River, [married] Dec. --, 1785," according to Jackman, Beulah G., Earliest records of Machias, Maine (1767-1837) (Concord, NH: Published by Beulah G. Jackman, [1937?]).