Family:Whitney, John (c1777-1849)
John6 Whitney (Benjamin5, Daniel4, Henry3, John2, Henry1), son of Benjamin5 and Sarah (Ketcham) Whitney, was born about 1777, Warwick, NY, and died 9 Jun 1849, Adrian, MI, aged 73 years.
He married firstly, about 1798, Warwick, NY, Mary Sears, his second cousin, daughter of Daniel and Lydia (Burt) Sears, and granddaughter of Daniel and Hannah (Benedict) Burt. She died 1824, Romulus, NY. She is buried in David Covert Cemetery, Romulus, NY.
He married secondly, about the middle of Nov 1825, Ovid, NY, Magdalena (Wheeler) Walworth, daughter of James and Magdalena (Duryee) Wheeler. She was born 1778, near New Brunswick, NJ, and died 14 Mar 1857, Adrian, MI, aged 80 years. She had married firstly, William Walworth.
Phoenix says the following:
- . . . a farmer; . . . . They dwelt in Warwick till 1801, when they settled on the west side of Cayuga Lake, at a place still known as Whitney's Landing, in Romulus, NY, on three hundred acres of the south part of lot number 92, which he bought, 5 Jun 1800, for nine hundred dollars. He was commissioned by Gov. George Clinton, 2 Mar 1804, as captain in the Cayuga County Regiment of Militia, under "Lieut.-Col. Wilhelmus Mynders," and held the position till after the war of 1812, in which he, with his company, served three months on the Niagara frontier. . . . . They moved, 26 May 1831, to Adrian, Mich., where he was one of the founders of the Baptist Church, and, for many years, one of its deacons. He was a member of the convention that formed the constitution of the State of Michigan. He died in Adrian, 9 June 1849, aged 73 years, and was buried on his own farm, in what is now known as tile Adrian Centre Cemetery. She died at Adrian, 14 March 1857, aged 80 years, and was buried beside her husband. Her gravestone calls her name Magdalen Whitney.
Children of John6 and Mary (Sears) Whitney:
i. James7 Whitney, b. 5 Jan 1799, Warwick, NY; d. 21 Mar 1841, Adrian, MI; unmarried; a farmer. ii. Benjamin Whitney, b. 7 Nov 1800, Warwick, NY; d. May 1832, Fayette, NY; unmarried; a farmer. iii. Lydia Whitney, b. 14 Mar 1803, Romulus, NY; m.(1) 5 Feb 1845, Coldwater, MI, George S. Nichols; m.(2) Adams, MI, John Smith Older, a farmer, who was born in Romulus, 15 Sep 1810, son of William and Caroline (Hagaman) Older, of Romulus, afterward of Adrian, Michigan. She dwelt at Coldwater, Branch Co., Mich., for four years; at Union City, in the same county, for six years; and lived at Osseo, Hillsdale Co., Mich., in Jan. 1875, having been a resident of that county for twenty-three years. His first wife was her sister, Adelia Whitney. iv. Adelia Whitney, b. 10 Jan 1806, Romulus, NY; d. 17 Dec 1853, Adams, MI, and was buried in Adrian Centre Cemetery, on her father's farm; m. John Smith Older, above, as his first wife. v. Daniel Sears Whitney, b. 30 May 1808, Romulus, NY; m. Lydia Louisa Walworth. vi. Volney Beckner Whitney, b. 16 Jul 1811, Romulus, NY; m. Fanny Melissa Austin. vii. Marian Whitney, b. 16 Apr 1814, Romulus, NY; m. Morris Todd, her cousin. viii. Esther Delevan Whitney, b. 11 Jul 1818, Romulus, NY; d. 19 Aug 1848, Coldwater, MI; m. 1845, ----- Dennison. ix. John Whitney, b. 28 Aug 1820, Romulus, NY; d. 29 Aug 1824, Romulus, NY.
- 1800: not found.
- 1810, Romulus, Seneca Co., NY: John Whitny, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 10-15, 2 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, and 2 females 0-9.
- 1820, Romulus, Seneca Co., NY: John Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 2 males 18-25, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 16-25, 1 female 10-15, and 2 females 0-9; 3 engaged in agriculture, 1 in manufacture or trades.
- 1830, Ovid, Seneca Co., NY: John Whitney, 1 male 50-59, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 20-29, 2 males 15-19, 1 male 10-14, 1 female 50-59, and 2 females 15-19.
- 1840, Adrian, Lenawee Co., MI: John Whitney, 1 male 70-79, 1 male 50-59, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 20-29, 1 female 60-69, 1 female 30-39, and 1 female 10-14.
- 1850 Mortality Schedule, Lenawee Co., MI: Whitney, John, male, 73, b. NY, d. Jun 1849, of Spinal Dis., shoemaker and cordwainer.
- 1850, Adrian, Lenawee Co., MI:
945 953 Daniel S. Whitney 42 M - Farmer $1600 N.Y. Loisa L. " 35 F - " Magdalene " 73 F - N.J.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), pp. 182-183 and pp. 495-496.
1.^ Find A Grave memorial #27659044, Mary Whitney.
Copyright © 2007, 2009, 2012, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- Missing from 1800 Census
- Branch County, Michigan
- Coldwater, Branch County, Michigan
- Union City, Branch County, Michigan
- Hillsdale County, Michigan
- Adams, Hillsdale County, Michigan
- Osseo, Hillsdale County, Michigan
- Lenawee County, Michigan
- Adrian, Lenawee County, Michigan
- New Jersey
- Middlesex County, New Jersey
- New Brunswick, Middlesex County, New Jersey
- New York
- Orange County, New York
- Warwick, Orange County, New York
- Seneca County, New York
- Fayette, Seneca County, New York
- Ovid, Seneca County, New York
- Romulus, Seneca County, New York