Family:Whitney, Joseph Herbert (1858-1916)
Joseph Herbert9 Whitney (Levi Greer8, Joseph7, Daniel6, David5, Nathan4, Nathaniel3, Benjamin2, John1), son of Levi Greer8 and Asenath P. (Folsom) Whitney, was born 13 Apr 1858, Newburgh, ME, and died 7 Jul 1916, St. Louis, Gratiot Co., MI.
He married 10 Feb 1883, Hemlock, MI, Minnie Thomas. She was born 30 Aug 1868, Hemlock, MI, and died 6 Mar 1926, Saginaw, MI.
"Representative from the Third District of Saginaw County, 1895-6; and Senator from the Twenty-second District, comprising the county of Saginaw, 1907-8 and 1909-10. Was born at Newburg, Penobscot County, Me., Apr. 13, 1858. He removed with his parents to Saginaw County, Mich., in 1868, and settled on a farm. He attended the district schools and the high schools of Saginaw; began teaching district school at the age of seventeen years, followed this occupation thirteen winters and worked on a farm during the summer months. In 1886 he engaged in the hardware business at Merrill. Married. He was a member of the Board of Education eighteen years, President of the village several terms and Township Clerk, president of the State Bank of Merrill, director of the Bank of Hemlock and vice-president of the St. Louis Sugar Co. In politics he was a Republican. He was a member of the County Committee twenty years. He died at St. Louis, Mich., June 7, 1916."
Children of Joseph Herbert9 and Minnie (Thomas) Whitney:
i. Carl Herbert10 Whitney, b. 3 Feb 1885, MI. ii. Caro Louise Whitney, b. 30 Aug 1887, Merrill, MI; d. 29 Nov 1940, Saginaw, MI; m. 8 Jun 1991, Merrill, MI, Harry Cleveland Spendlove. iii. Gertrude Whitney, b. May 1889, MI. iv. Joseph Whitney, b. Mar 1894, MI. v. Frank Thomas Whitney, b. 24 Feb 1900, MI; d. 1955; m. Edna G. Wonderlic, b. 1902, MI, d. 1978, Saginaw, MI.
- 1860, Newburgh, Penobscot Co., ME, in parents' family.
- 1870, Thomas, Saginaw Co., MI, in parents' family.
- 1880, Richland, Kalamazoo Co., MI, in parents' family.
- 1900, Jonesfield, Saginaw Co., MI
- 1910, Jonesfield, Saginaw Co., MI
- Michigan Biographies, Volume II, L-Z; the Michigan Historical Commission, Lansing, 1924, pg. 440. Found at: The National Archives, Washington, D.C
- Croxford Family Tree; Public Member Tree, Ancestry.com
- Spendlove Family Tree; Public Member Tree, Ancestry.com
- Wonderlic Family Tree; Public Member Tree, Ancestry.com