Family:Whitney, Josiah (s1758-1824)
From WRGJump to navigationJump to search
Josiah5 Whitney (Jeremiah4, Nathan3, John2, Henry1), son of Jeremiah4 and ----- (-----) Whitney, was born say 1758, Westchester County, NY, and died 10 Dec 1824, Grimsby, ON.
He married, about 1786, Westchester County, NY, Esther Weeks, parentage unknown. She was born 1 Feb 1764, Putnam County, NY, and died 26 Apr 1834, Grimsby, ON.
Phoenix says the following:
- Josiah Whitney, b. in Westchester County, N.Y., date unknown; a farmer and carman; married, in Westchester County, Esther Weeks, who was born, 1 Feb. 1764, in what is now Putnam County, N.Y. They dwelt in Westchester County and in New York City, till late in life; then went to live with their son Lewis, at Grimsby, U.C.; and there died--he, 10 Dec. 1824; she, 26 Ap. 1834. He served for five years in the Revolutionary War, and was wounded at Fort Montgomery.
Children of Josiah5 and Esther (Weeks) Whitney:
i. Esther Whitney, b. 2 Oct 1787, twin, Westchester Co., NY; d. in early infancy. ii. Martha Whitney, b. 2 Oct 1787, twin, Westchester Co., NY; m.(1) John Gatfield; m.(2) Alexander Stewart. iii. Lewis Whitney, b. 27 Feb 1789, Yorktown, NY; m. Sarah Kitchen. iv. Elizabeth Whitney, b. 12 Sep 1795, Westchester Co., NY; d. 1815 or 1819, New York, NY. v. Mary Whitney, b. 19 Jul 1798, Westchester Co., NY; m.(1) Isaac Metcalf; m.(2) ----- Westbrook; moved to Kingston, NY, where she d. 23 Sep 1834, "leaving one daughter, who married Dr. Oliver." vi. Bartley Whitney, b. 4 Aug 1804, Westchester Co., NY; d. about 1843, at sea; previously lived in New Orleans, LA. Another account says that he died about 1852 to 1854.
- 1790, York, Westchester Co., NY: Josiah Whitney, 1 male over 16, 1 male 0-15, and 3 females.
- 1800: not found.
- 1810, 10th Ward, New York, New York Co., NY: Josiah Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 26-44, and 3 females 10-15.
- 1820, 10th Ward, New York, New York Co., NY: Josiah Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 female over 45, and 1 female 16-25.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 112 and pp. 323-324.
Copyright © 2007, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group
- Missing from 1800 Census
- Ontario, Canada
- Lincoln County, Ontario, Canada
- Grimsby, Lincoln County, Ontario, Canada
- Orleans Parish, Louisiana
- New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana
- New York
- Dutchess County, New York
- Kingston, Dutchess County, New York
- New York County, New York
- New York, New York County, New York
- Putnam County, New York
- Westchester County, New York
- Yorktown, Westchester County, New York