Family:Whitney, Josiah Anson (1762-a1802)
Josiah Anson5 Whitney (Richard4, Henry3, John2, Henry1), son of Richard4 and Esther (Clark) Whitney, was born 18 Jan 1762, Ridgefield, CT, and died after 1809.
He married firstly, about 1786, Danbury, CT, Rebecca Olmstead, parentage and birth unknown. She died after 1800, Westmoreland, NY.
He married secondly, 20 Sep 1802, Guilford, CT, Sally Leet, daughter of Reuben and Lucy (Bartlett) Leete. She was born about 1768, Guilford, CT, and died unknown.
Phoenix says the following:
- Josiah Anson Whitney, b. in Ridgefield, Conn., 18 Jan. 1762; a millwright; served in the Revolutionary War, and though he was only thirteen years old when it began, tradition says that he served six years, and "held a Captain's commission under Gen. George Washington." He married, about 1786 or the beginning of 1787, at Danbury, Conn., Rebecca Olmstead. Perhaps Danbury was their dwelling place for the first ten years; but in the early part of 1797, they were living in Paris, N.Y., and, about 1800, they moved to Westmoreland, N.Y., where she died, and was buried. He married (2d), 20 Sept. 1802, Sally Leet, who was born in Guilford, Conn., where also the marriage took place.
Children of Josiah Anson5 and Rebecca (Olmstead) Whitney:
i. Lewis6 Whitney, b. 25 Oct 1787; d. date unknown, Quebec, QC, unmarried. ii. Ann Whitney, b. 23 Oct 1789, Chariton, NY; m.(1) Andrew Phillips; m.(2) William Hawes. iii. Anson Whitney, b. 3 Jan 1792, Chariton, NY; m. Mary (Phillips) Bullard. iv. Marcus Fayette Whitney, b. 4 Apr 1794, Paris, NY; m. Mary Ann Stainer. v. Rebecca Whitney, b. 15 Oct 1796, Paris, NY; m. John Humphries Brandon. vi. Almira Whitney, b. 23 Jun 1799, Paris, NY; m.(1) Nathaniel Lee; m.(2) Parker Bullard.
Children of Josiah Anson5 and Sally (Leet) Whitney:
vii. Sarah Leet Whitney, b. 9 Aug 1803, Utica, NY; m. Titus Canfield. viii. Richard Leet Whitney, b. 24 Sep 1805, Waddington, NY; m.(1) Maria Doran; m.(2) Clarissa Jane Fairman. ix. George Kirkland Whitney, b. Sep 1807, Waddington, NY; d. 29 Jan 1841, Bedford, OH, unmarried. x. Lucy Bartlett Whitney, b. 24 Sep 1809, Waddington, NY; d. 1810, Waddington, NY. xi. (child) Whitney, infant who d. so young that no name was given. xii. (child) Whitney, infant who d. so young that no name was given.
- 1790, Ballstown, Albany Co., NY: Josiah Whitney, 1 male over 16, 2 males 0-15, and 2 females.
- 1800, Paris, Oneida Co., NY: Josiah Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 10-15, 2 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 10-15, and 2 females 0-9.
- 1810, Madrid, St Lawrence Co., NY: Josiah A. Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 16-25, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 16-25, 2 females 10-15, and 1 female 0-9.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 66 and pp. 193-195.
1.^ "Josiah Anson [Whitney], s. Richard & Esther, b. 16 Jan 17[ ]," according to the Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, Ridgefield 1:12.
Copyright © 2007, 2011, 2021, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- Quebec, Canada
- Quebec, Quebec, Canada
- Fairfield County, Connecticut
- Danbury, Fairfield County, Connecticut
- Ridgefield, Fairfield County, Connecticut
- New Haven County, Connecticut
- Guilford, New Haven County, Connecticut
- New York
- Dutchess County, New York
- Poughkeepsie, Dutchess County, New York
- Oneida County, New York
- Paris, Oneida County, New York
- Utica, Oneida County, New York
- Westmoreland, Oneida County, New York
- Saint Lawrence County, New York
- Waddington, Saint Lawrence County, New York
- Saratoga County, New York
- Chariton, Saratoga County, New York
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio
- Bedford, Cuyahoga County, Ohio