Family:Whitney, Levi St. Clair (1811-a1880)
Levi St. Clair7 Whitney (Hezekiah6, Hezekiah5, Hezekiah4, Joseph3, John2, Henry1), son of Hezekiah6 and Polly (St. Clair) Whitney, was born 15 Mar 1811, Morristown, VT, and died after 1880.
He married, 14 Dec 1834, Fairfield, NJ, Clarissa Jones, daughter of Lewis and Abigail Benton (Davis) Jones. She was born 6 mar 1814, Fairfield, NJ, and died after 1880.
Phoenix says the following:
- "... a shoemaker .... After dwelling several years in Orange, N.J., he moved, in 1842, to Utica, N.Y., and thence, in 1844, to Eagle Harbor, in Gaines, N.Y., where he was living in 1874."
Children of Levi St. Clair7 and Clarissa (Jones) Whitney:
i. (son)7 Whitney, lived only a few hours. ii. (son) Whitney, lived only a few hours. iii. Joseph St. Clair Whitney, b. 31 Jan 1838, Orange, NJ; m. Susan Russell. iv. Charles Jones Whitney, b. 6 Sep 1842, Utica, NY; m. Cordelia Fannie Levieu. v. Hetty Maria Whitney, b. 21 Jan 1845, Eagle Harbor, in Gaines, NY; m. 5 May 1870, Gaines, NY, George Edwinton Hall; clerk in the office of the Collector of Customs; resided 174 Second Avenue, New York, NY.
- 1840: not found.
- 1850, Gaines, Orleans Co., NY:
1166 2172 S. S. Whitney 39 M - Shoe Maker $1600 Vt. [sic: should be L. S.] Clarisa 37 F - N.J. Joseph 12 M - " Attended school Charles 8 M - N.Y. Attended school Mariah 6 F - " Attended school Donald M. Kelly 28 M - Shoe Maker Scotland
243 Frame $1400 255 L. S. Whitney 44 M - - Vermont 1 - 11 Shoemaker 1 - - - - 1 - Clarissa " 41 F - Wife New Jersey 1 - 11 " - - - - - - - Joseph " 17 M - Son " - - 11 " - - - - - - - Chas. " 12 M - " Oneida - - 11 " - - - - - - - Maria " 10 F - Dau Orleans - - 10 " - - - - - - -
435 435 L. S. Whiting 47 M - Shoe Maker $3000 $1000 Vermont [sic: should be Whiting] Clarissa 46 F - New Jersey Charles J. 17 M - New York Attended school Maria 15 F - " Attended school
191 Frame $2000 203 Levi S. Whitney 53 M - ---- Vt. - 1 1 - - Shoemaker, Orleans 1 - - - 1 - - - - - - Clarisa Whitney 50 F - Wife N.J. 5 1 1 - - Maria Whitney 20 F - Dau Orleans - - - - 1
139 142 Whitney, Levi S. 59 M W Store keeper $2000 $1800 Vermont Male citizen over 21 " Clarissa 57 F W Keeping house New Jersey
Levi S. WHITNEY 69 Self M M W VT Keeps Country Store CT VT Clarissa WHITNEY 66 Wife F M W NJ Keeps House CT NJ Emma WHITNEY 19 GDau F S W NY At Home NJ NY
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 354 and p. 937.
- Census records.
Copyright © 2009, 2013, 2016, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- Missing from 1840 Census
- New Jersey
- Essex County, New Jersey
- Fairfield, Essex County, New Jersey
- Orange, Essex County, New Jersey
- New York County, New York
- New York
- Chautauqua County, New York
- Westfield, Chautauqua County, New York
- New York, New York County, New York
- Oneida County, New York
- New Hartford, Oneida County, New York
- Utica, Oneida County, New York
- Orleans County, New York
- Eagle Harbor, Orleans County, New York
- Gaines, Orleans County, New York
- Lehigh County, Pennsylvania
- Allentown, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania
- Lamoille County, Vermont
- Morristown, Lamoille County, Vermont