Family:Whitney, Nathan (1724-a1790)
Nathan4 Whitney (Nathan3, John2, Henry1), son of Nathan3 and Sarah (Platt) Whitney, was born 11 June 1724, Ridgefield, CT.
That he married and had children is evident from the census records, but nothing else is known of his wife and family.
He was a farmer; was of the Manor of Cortlandt, N.Y., 1 May 1767, when he bought of Michael Mekeel and Milche, his wife, for £500, N.Y. currency, the north end of farm No. 4, of lot No. 4. "Nathan Whitnehy, Esq., of the Manor of Cortlandt," for £350, N.Y. currency, 13 June 1770, bought eighty acres of land at Amawalk, in Yorktown, N.Y.; it being farm No. 7, in east range of North lot, No. 5. He also bought land, 14 Ap. 1790, on the north side of Croton River, in Stephentown, Manor of Corlandt, of Stephen Gage and Susanna, his wife, for £508 16s., N.Y. currency. No trace has been found of his family, unless one of his grandchildren was Nathan Whitney, who is remembered by General Bernardus Montross, of Yorktown, as a boy about his own age, born about 1790, and living in the east part of Yorktown.
The following records could be those of a son, born say 1753, with wife, born say 1767, and married about 1789, or some or all could be those of the father.
- 1790, Stephen Town, Westchester Co., NY: Nathan Whitney, 1 male over 16 and 1 female.
- 1800, Stephentown, Westchester Co., NY: Nathan Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 10-15, 2 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 16-25, 1 female 10-15, and 2 females 0-9.
- 1810, Yorktown, Westchester Co., NY: Nathan Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 16-25, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 10-15, and 4 females 0-9.
- 1820: not found.
- 1830: not found.
- 1840: not found.
1.^ "Nathan [Whitney], s. Nathan & Sarah, b. 11 Jun ," according to Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, Ridgefield LR1:204.
2.^ Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 39.
Copyright © 2007, 2009, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group
- Missing from 1820 Census
- Missing from 1830 Census
- Missing from 1840 Census
- Fairfield County, Connecticut
- Ridgefield, Fairfield County, Connecticut
- New York
- Westchester County, New York
- Cortlandt Manor, Westchester County, New York
- Stephentown, Westchester County, New York
- Yorktown, Westchester County, New York