Family:Whitney, Nathan Stilson (1832-a1880)
Nathan Stilson7 Whitney (Nehemiah6, Walter5, Samuel4, Richard3, John2, Henry1), son of Nehemiah6, was born 13 Jan 1832, Stamford, NY, and died after 1880.
He married, 3 Sep 1854, Detroit, MI, Mary Ann Chaffee, daughter of Joel and Melissa (Case) Chaffee. She was born 3 May 1829, Rochester, NY, and died after 1910. They were divorced before 1880.
Phoenix says the following:
- ". . . moved to Ogdensburgh, N.Y., with his father, in the Autumn of 1834; went to Pontiac, Mich., 26 Nov. 1853, and to Detroit, Mich., in May 1854; . . . . He went to Belvidere, Ill., in Sept. 1854; to Freeport, Ill., in the Spring of 1855; to Cumming City, Nebraska, in 1856; to St. Joseph, Mo., in the Spring of 1858; to St. Louis, Mo., in the Winter of 1858-9; to Alton, Ill., in the Spring of 1859; and, in March 1860, to Edwardsville, Ill., where he was still living in Aug. 1874. He is a carver and engraver of marble, and has attempted sculpture with some success. He is proprietor of the Edwardsville Marble Works."
Children of Nathan Stilson7 and Mary Ann (Chaffee) Whitney:
i. Merrick Stilson8 Whitney, b. 11 Jan 1856, Freeport, IL; and was living with his mother, at Bunker Hill, IL, in 1874. ii. Phebe Melissa Whitney, b. 13 Feb 1860, Alton, IL; d. 25 Feb 1861, Alton, IL, where she was buried in the Alton Cemetery. iii. Effie Belle Whitney, b. 29 May 1861, Edwardsville, IL; d. 17 Sep 1872, Bunker Hill, IL, and she was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Edwardsville, IL. iv. Harriet Martha Ida Whitney, b. 21 May 1865, Edwardsville, IL; and was living with her mother, at Bunker Hill, IL, in 1874. v. Nathan Clarence Whitney, b. 14 Oct 1867, Edwardsville, IL; and was living with his mother, at Bunker Hill, IL, in 1874.
1072 1054 Nathan Whitney 28 M - Marble Maker 1000 --- N. York Mary " 30 F - Housekeeper " Merrick " 4 M - Illinois
351 369 Whitney, N. S. 38 M W Marbel Cutter $500 $200 New York Male citizen over 21 Nancy 40 F W Keeps House " Marrick 14 M W Illinois Attended school Effe B. 9 F W " Attended school Harriet 5 F W " Nathan 3 M W " Chaffee, M. S. 59 F W Massachusetts
Jacob STRONG 50 Self M M W ENG Farmer ENG ENG Elizabeth STRONG 43 Wife F M W IL Keeping House KY TN Laura STRONG 22 Dau F S W IL At Home ENG ENG James STRONG 17 Son M S W IL At Home ENG ENG Alice STRONG 13 Dau F S W IL At Home & School ENG ENG Hannah STRONG 11 Dau F S W IL At Home & School ENG ENG Richard STRONG 9 Son M S W IL At Home & School ENG ENG Francis STRONG 5 Dau F S W IL At Home ENG ENG Emma STRONG 54 Sis F D W ENG At Home ENG ENG Nathan WHITNEY 48 Oth M D W NY Marble Dealer NY NY
Whitney, Mary Head W F -----, Hattie Dau W F -----, N. Clarence Son W M
- 1910, St. Louis Ward 4, Independent city, MO: N. Clarence Whitney and mother Mary A. Whitney.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 684 and p. 1492.
- Census records.
Copyright © 2009, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group
- Boone County, Illinois
- Belvidere, Boone County, Illinois
- Macoupin County, Illinois
- Bunker Hill, Macoupin County, Illinois
- Madison County, Illinois
- Alton, Madison County, Illinois
- Edwardsville, Madison County, Illinois
- Stephenson County, Illinois
- Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois
- Oakland County, Michigan
- Pontiac, Oakland County, Michigan
- Wayne County, Michigan
- Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan
- Buchanan County, Missouri
- Saint Joseph, Buchanan County, Missouri
- Saint Louis, Saint Louis City, Missouri
- Washington County, Nebraska
- Cumming City, Washington County, Nebraska
- New York
- Saint Lawrence County, New York
- Ogdensburgh, Saint Lawrence County, New York