Family:Whitney, Peter (1776-1838)
Peter6 Whitney (Peter5, Josiah4, Josiah3, [prob.] Benjamin2, John1), son of Peter5 and Mercy (Case) Whitney, was born 30 Nov 1776, Willington, CT, and died 1838, Hartford, VT.
He married firstly, about 1800, Edith Davis, daughter of Bezaleel and Mary (Wright) Davis. She was born 7 Nov 1777, Hanover, NH.
He "Jr." married secondly, 5 May 1822, Tunbridge, VT, Sybil "Clarisa" Ainsworth, both of Tunbridge. She was born about 1790.
He was a blacksmith. He resided Hartford, VT.
Children of Peter6 and Edith (Davis) Whitney:
i. Erastus Davis7 Whitney, b. 15 Feb 1801, NH; m. Hannah Wilkinson. ii. Paschal Paoli Whitney, b. 13 Dec 1806; m. Malvina Stillman. iii. Amanda Melvina Whitney, b. ca. Jun 1808, VT; d. 1 Apr 1886, Taunton, MA, aged 77 years 10 months, of paralysis; m. 12 Sep 1832, Calvin Eaton; resided Concord, NH. iv. Mary Maria Whitney, b. ca. 1810, VT; m. 1838, Albert Langmaid or Longmaide; resided Concord, NH. v. Jane Whitney, b. say 1812.
Children of Peter6 and Sibyl (Ainsworth) Whitney:
vi. George Lafayette Whitney, b. 17 Aug 1825; m. Caroline Jane Goss. vii. Sybil C. Whitney, b. ca. 1828, Hartford, VT; m. 6 Sep 1846, Shrewsbury, VT, Harvey Smith; resided Sharon and South Royalton, VT. viii. Horace Whitney, b. ca. 1832, Royalton, VT; d. 1913, MA; raised by Calvin and Amanda (Whitney) Eaton of Concord, NH; "of Concord [NH]", changed his name to Horace Eaton on 13 Jul 1855; m. 25 Dec 1858, Quincy, MA, Rebecca Phillips Baxter. [See Notes below.]
Horace Whitney "of Concord", NH, changed his name to Horace Eaton on 13 Jul 1855. When he married, 25 Dec 1858, Quincy, MA, Rebecca P. Baxter, his age is given as 26, his birthplace Royalton, VT, and his parents are listed as Calvin and Amanda Eaton. That would make his birth about 1832. He named a son "Horace Ainsworth Eaton". A possible explanation of these facts is that Horace was Amanda Whitney's younger half-brother, whose mother was Sybil Ainsworth, and that he was brought up by Calvin and Amanda. This is the interpretation represented above. I haven't been able to find him in the 1850 Census under either surname. He was not living in the family of Calvin and Amanda at that time.
- 1800, Hartford, Windsor Co., VT: Peter Whitney, 2 male 26-44 and 1 female 26-44.
- 1810, Hartford, Windsor Co., VT: Peter Whitney, 1 male 26-45, 1 male 16-26, 2 males under 10, 1 female 26-45, 2 females under 10.
- 1820: not found.
- 1830: not found.
- 1850, son Horace not found.
- 1860, Quincy, Norfolk Co., MA, p. 162:
1097 1308 James Baxter 74 M - Farmer $10000 $300 Mass. Mary " 62 F - " Samuel D. " 50 M - " Horace Eaton 26 M - Clerk New Hamp. Rebecca " 27 F - Mass. Mary F. " 7/12 F - " Jerusha Thayer 26 F - $3000 $1000 "
- 1870, Quincy, Norfolk Co., MA, p. 151/135:
992 1266 Eaton, Horace 37 M W Leather Merchant $4000 $2000 Vermont -----, Rebecca P. 36 F W Keeping House Mass. -----, Mary P. 10 F W Attending School Mass. -----, Eleanor B. 5 F W At Home Mass. Kelly, Mary J. 16 F W Domestic Servant Ireland
- 1880 U.S. Census, Quincy, Norfolk, Massachusetts, T9-0549, p. 163D
Horace EATON 46 Self M M W MA. Leather Merchant MA. MA. Rebecca T. EATON 45 Wife F M W MA. Keeping House MA. MA. Eleanor B. EATON 15 Dau F S W MA. At School MA. MA. Horace A. EATON 8 Son M S W MA. At School MA. MA.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 206.
1.^ "Peter [Whitney], s. Peter & Marcy, b. 30 Nov 1776," according to the Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, Willington B:7.
2.^ Vermont, Vital Records Index, Marriages.
3.^ "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004; volume 373, page 154.
4.^ Vermont, Vital Records Index, Marriages.
5.^ "Horace Whitney, of Concord, to Horace Eaton, 13 Jul 1855,", according to Richard P. Roberts, New Hampshire Name Changes, 1768-1923, Heritage Books, Inc., Bowie, MD, 1996.
6.^ "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004; volume 118, page 219.
Copyright © 2006, 2007, 2009-2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- Missing from 1820 Census
- Missing from 1830 Census
- Tolland County, Connecticut
- Tolland, Tolland County, Connecticut
- Willington, Tolland County, Connecticut
- Bristol County, Massachusetts
- Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts
- Norfolk County, Massachusetts
- Quincy, Norfolk County, Massachusetts
- Suffolk County, Massachusetts
- Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts
- New Hampshire
- Merrimack County, New Hampshire
- Concord, Merrimack County, New Hampshire
- Windsor County, Vermont
- Hartford, Windsor County, Vermont
- Royalton, Windsor County, Vermont