Family:Whitney, Samuel (1793-1845)
From WRGJump to navigationJump to search
Samuel6 Whitney (John5, John4, Richard3, John2, Henry1), son of John5 and Amy (Howd) Whitney, was born 28 Apr 1793, Branford, CT, and died 15 Dec 1845, Lahainaluna, Maui, Sandwich Islands.
He married, 3 Oct 1819, Pittsfield, MA, Mercy Partridge, daughter of William and Jemima (Bidwell) Partridge. She was born 14 Aug 1795, Pittsfield, MA, and died 26 Dec 1872, Waimea, Kauai, Sandwich Islands.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Samuel Whitney, b. at Branford, Conn., 28 Ap. 1793; a clergyman; joined the church at Northford, Conn., 27 March 1812; was dismissed, about 1817, to the church in Yale College, where he studied for two years; married, 3 Oct. 1819, at Pittsfield, Mass., Mercy Partridge, dau. of William and Jemima (Bidwell) Partridge, of Pittsfield, where she was born 14 Aug. 1795. The A. B. C. F. M. having accepted his offer of service as a missionary to the Sandwich Islands, they embarked at Boston, Mass., 23 Oct 1819, in the brig Thaddeus, and arrived at Kailua, Hawaii, 4 Ap. 1820. He was licensed by the Hawaiian Association, 28 Feb. 1823, and ordained by the same, at Kailua, 30 Nov. 1825. They settled at Waimea, Kauai, where she was yet living in 1868. He died, 15 Dec. 1845, after 25 years of devoted service, at Lahainaluna, in the Island of Maui, and was buried there."
Children of Samuel6 and Mercy (Partridge) Whitney:
i. Maria Kapule' Whitney, b. 19 Oct 1820, Waimea, Kauai, Sandwich Islands; d. after 1868; m. 29 May 1848, Honolulu, Oahu, Sandwich Islands, Rev. John Fawcett Pogue. ii. Samuel Worcester Whitney, b. 18 Mar 1822, Waimea, Kauai, Sandwich Islands; m.(1) Catharine Eudocia Kent; m.(2) Harriet Ellen Hitch. iii. Henry Martyn Whitney, b. 5 Jun 1824, Waimea, Kauai, Sandwich Islands; m. Catharine Olivia March. iv. Emily Elizabeth Whitney, b. 9 Jan 1827, Waimea, Kauai, Sandwich Islands; d. after 1867; m. 23 Aug 1853, New Haven, CT, Rev. Salmon McCall.
Not found; his family were in the Kingdom of Hawaii, Sandwich Islands.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), pp. 253-263 and pp. 695-696.
Copyright © 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- New Haven County, Connecticut
- New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut
- Branford, New Haven County, Connecticut
- Berkshire County, Massachusetts
- Pittsfield, Berkshire County, Massachusetts
- Bristol County, Massachusetts
- New Bedford, Bristol County, Massachusetts
- New York
- Essex County, New York
- Westport, Essex County, New York
- Kauai, Hawaii
- Waimea, Kauai, Hawaii
- Maui, Hawaii
- Lahainaluna, Maui, Hawaii
- Oahu, Hawaii
- Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii