Family:Whitney, Samuel Starfield (1787-1849)
Samuel Starfield6 Whitney (Thomas5, James4, Henry3, John2, Henry1), son of Thomas5 and Jemima (Smellage) Whitney, was born 3 Dec 1787, Tarrytown, NY, and died 7 Sep 1849, New Canaan, CT, aged 63 years 9 months. He was buried in the Comstock and Weed Cemetery.
He married, 10 Aug 1819, Brookfield, CT, Lois Stewart, daughter of Albert and Lorana (Waterbury) Stewart. Her name is variously given as Lois, Louis, Louisa, Lousa, and Lewis! She was born about 1797, CT, and died after Oct 1874. She married secondly, before 1860, Thaddeus Smith Fancher, son of William and Sarah (Smith)(Hanford) Fancher. He was born 9 Jan 1789, Poundridge, NY, and died 19 Jan 1869, Poundridge, NY. He had married firstly, 1 Jan 1809, Lewisboro, NY, Esther Lockwood (1788-1849). After his death she lived with her children.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Samuel Starfield Whitney, b. at Tarrytown, N. Y., 3 Dec. 1787, according to the family-record, while the New Canaan church-record says, 1785; a tailor; married, 10 Aug. 1819, at Brookfield, Conn., Lois Stewart, dau. of Albert and Lorana (Waterbury) Stewart. They settled in New Canaan, Conn., where he died, 7 Sept 1849, aged 63 years and 9 months, and was buried in the Comstock and Weed Cemetery. She was living with her son, Henry Martin Whitney, at North Stamford, Conn., in Oct 1874."
Children of Samuel Starfield6 and Lois (Stewart) Whitney:
i. George Grandison7 Whitney, b. 20 May 1820, New Canaan, CT; m.(1) Elizabeth Ann Blanchard; m.(2) Lucy Ann (Bartow) Parkiton. ii. Henry Martyn Whitney, b. 7 Feb 1822, Darien, CT; m. Eliza Jane Hobby. iii. James Riley Whitney, b. 8 Jan 1824, New Canaan, CT; m. Catherine Letts. iv. Laurinda Whitney, b. 10 Feb 1826, New Canaan, CT; d. after Oct 1874; m. Walter Henry Worrall, of New Canaan, CT. v. Cordelia Whitney, b. 24 Jan 1828, New Canaan, CT; d. 3 Apr 1846, New Canaan, CT, and was buried there. vi. Moranda Hanford Whitney, b. 2 Jun 1830, New Canaan, CT; m. Jane Elizabeth Bell. vii. Mary Amelia Whitney, b. 21 Apr 1832, New Canaan, CT; d. after Jun 1877; m. Charles Bromley, of Brooklyn, NY. viii. Charles Legrand Whitney, b. 15 Oct 1834, New Canaan, CT; m. Martha Ann Bates. ix. Harriet Elizabeth Whitney, b. 25 Apr 1837, New Canaan, CT; d. after Dec 1875; m. Gerrit Sullivan, of Brooklyn, NY.
- 1820, New Canaan, Fairfield Co., CT: Samuel Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 1 male 0-9, and 1 female 16-25; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, New Canaan, Fairfield Co., CT: Samuel Whitney, 1 male 40-49, 1 male 10-14, 2 males 5-9, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 30-39, and 2 females 0-4.
- 1840, New Canaan, Fairfield Co., CT: Samuel Whitney, 1 male 50-59, 1 male 20-29, 2 males 15-19, 1 male 10-14, 1 male 5-9, 1 female 40-49, 1 female 10-14, 1 female 5-9, and 1 female 0-4; 4 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, New Canaan, Fairfield Co., CT:
94 101 Lewis Whitney 52 M - Ct. [sic: Lois, female] George " 30 M - Shoe M " Meranda " 20 M - do " Harriett " 13 F - " John Kameff 23 M - do "
717 761 Thaddeus S. Fancher 71 M - Farmer $500 $250 N.Y. Louis " 64 F - N.Y. Adalaide Hossell 13 F - N.Y. Franklin P. Whitney 8 M - N.Y.
This was his widow and her grandson Franklin, son of her son George.
- 1870, Brooklyn Ward 7, Kings Co., NY:
1239 1963 Sullivan, Garret 33 M W Inspector Customs H. N.Y. Parents foreign born, Male citizen over 21 -----, Harriet 33 F W ? Connet. Parents foreign born Fancher, Louisa 74 F W ? Connet. Wrell, Delia 16 F W Connet. Brady, Thoms. 31 M W Physician Ireland Parents foreign born, Male citizen over 21 Bauldwin, Jeremiah 30 M W Carpenter Ireland Parents foreign born, Male citizen over 21 -----, John 21 M W Clerk Dry Goods Ireland Parents foreign born, Male citizen over 21 Carren, William 65 M W Carpenter Ireland Parents foreign born, Male citizen over 21
George G. WHITNEY 60 Self M M W CT Work For Shoe Manuf. NY CT Lucy A. WHITNEY 53 Wife F M W CT Keeping House NY CT Harriet E. PARKERTON 29 SDau F M W CT At Home CT CT Lillie M. PARKERTON 4 GDau F S W CT CT CT Lousa FANCHER 82 Moth F W W CT Keeping House CT CT
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 198 and pp. 543-545.