Family:Whitney, Seth (1812-a1874)
He married firstly, 14 Nov 1833, Montville, OH, Mary Batchelder, daughter of Philemon and Mary (Skinner) Batchelder. She was born 7 Jun 1808, New Hartford, CT, and died before 1847.
He married secondly, 27 Apr 1847, Montville, OH, Lucinda Tucker, daughter of Moses and Ruhama (Tryon) Tucker. She was born 10 May 1819, Mecca, OH, and died after 1874.
Phoenix says the following:
- "Seth Whitney, b. at East Granville, Mass., 19 July 1812; a farmer, cheese-manufacturer, and hotel-keeper; settled in Montville, Ohio, 12 Oct. 1831, and has always lived there except nine years, 1848-1856, which were passed at Thompson, Ohio; married, 14 Nov. 1833, at Montville, by Rev. O. Lyman, to Mary Batchelder, of Montville, dau. of Philemon and Mary (Skinner) Batchelder, of New Hartford, Conn., where she was born, 7 June 1808; married (2d), 27 Ap. 1847, at Montville, by Spencer Garritt, Esq., to Lucinda Tucker, of Huntsburgh, Ohio, where her parents, Moses and Ruhama (Tryon) Tucker, died. She was born at Mecca, Ohio, 10 May 1819. He has been deacon of the Congregational Church, township treasurer, and, for nine years, postmaster."
Children of Seth6 and Mary (Batchelder) Whitney:
i. Sarah Jane7 Whitney, b. 14 Dec 1834, Montville, OH; d. 27 Jun 1837, Montville, OH; bur. Montville Cemetery, Montville, OH. ii. Mary Elvira Whitney, b. 27 Aug 1836, Montville, OH; m. Sherman Enon Spencer. iii. Sophia Jane Whitney, b. 10 Mar 1840, Montville, OH; m. Hiram Tuttle. iv. Emeroy Margaret Whitney, b. 7 Feb 1843, Montville, OH; m. Henry Tenney Brown. v. Henry Philemon Whitney, b. 24 Jul 1845, Montville, OH; m.(1) Rosetta L. Low; m.(2) Jessie M. Carmichael.
Children of Seth6 and Lucinda (Tucker) Whitney:
vi. Nelson7 Whitney, b. 19 Feb 1847, Montville, OH; d. 30 Apr 1849, Thompson, OH; bur. Montville, OH. vii. Josephine Lucinda Whitney, b. 28 Mar 1850, Montville, OH; resided Montville, OH, 1874; m. 2 Nov 1874, Geauga Co., OH, Stearns Wesley Kellogg. viii. Seth Wellington Whitney, b. 9 Mar 1852, Thompson, OH; d. 2 May 1853, Thompson, OH; bur. Montville, OH.
- 1840, Montville, Geauga Co., OH: Seth Whitney, 1 male 20-29, 1 female 30-39, and 2 females 0-4; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Thompson, Geauga Co., OH:
12 15 Seth Whiting 35 M - Clothier Mass. Lucinda Whiting 28 F - Ohio Henry Whiting 5 M - Ohio Joseph Whiting 1 F - Ohio Attended school
527 492 Seth Whitney 46 M - Farmer $5000 $2200 Mass. Lucinda " 40 F - O. Emeroy 17 M - " Attended school Henry 15 M - " Attended school Josephine 10 F - " Attended school Henry Hopkins 73 M - Mass. Gelespie Morey 18 M - Farm House Conn.
4 4 Whitney, Seth 57 M W Hotel Keeper $8250 $1625 Mass. Male citizen over 21 -----, Lucinda 51 F W Keeping House O. -----, Henry 23 M W Farm Laborer O. Male citizen over 21 -----, Josephine 19 F W At Home O. Attended school Bartlett, John W. 35 M W Works in Cheese Fty. Conn. Male citizen over 21
34 34 Whitney, Seth 59 M W Hotel Keeper $8250 $1625 Mass. Male citizen over 21 -----, Lucinda 51 F W Keeping House Ohio -----, Henry 24 M W Farm Laborer Ohio Male citizen over 21 -----, Josephine 19 F W Ohio Bartlett, John M. 35 M W Work in cheese Fac. Conn. Male citizen over 21
This is a duplicate enumeration.
- 1880, Seth and Lucinda not found.
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 331 and pp. 879-880.