Family:Whitney, Sheldon Clark (1799-1849)
Sheldon Clark6 Whitney (William Clark5, Henry4, Josiah3, John2, Henry1), son of William Clark5 and Mary (Thompson) Whitney, was born 1 Apr 1799, Derby, CT, and died 5 Apr 1849, Silas, Choctaw County, AL; buried Providence Methodist Cemetery, Silas, AL.
He married firstly, 8 Oct 1817, Madison Ave Or Northwest Or Sugar-Loaf St Dutch Reformed Church, New York, NY, Eliza Blanchard. She died in childbed, New York, NY.
He married secondly, ----- -----, a Spanish woman, of whom nothing further is known.
He married thirdly, 12 Jul 1838, Washington County, Alabama, Martha A. Wilson, parentage unknown. She was born about 1820, KY, and died 6 Oct 1870, Silas, Choctaw County, AL; buried Providence Methodist Cemetery, Silas, AL. She married secondly, before 1860, ----- Barrier. It is possible that the marriage record of Martha A. Wilson to Thomas H. Barber, 22 Sep 1853 Clarke County, AL, refers to this couple. He apparentlly died before 1860, when she appears alone in the census with her children by her first husband.
Phoenix says the following:
- b. at Derby, Conn., 1 Ap. 1799; went south over fifty years ago, and has not since returned. His cousin, Archibald Whitney, called on his family in 1848, and reported that he had four beautiful daughters. He was then living among the Choctaws, and was a river-pilot. He married Eliza Blanchard, who died in childbed, after a passage by sea from the south to New York City, the infant (her second child) surviving her only a few days. His second wife was a Spanish woman, name not reported.
Children of Sheldon Clark6 and Eliza (Blanchard) Whitney:
i. Mary Eliza7 Whitney, b. 6 Apr 1822, New York, NY; bapt. 23 Jun 1822, Madison Ave Or Northwest Or Sugar-Loaf St Dutch Reformed Church, New York, NY; living 1848. ii. (child) Whitney, b. New York, NY; died soon after birth, New York, NY.
Children of Sheldon Clark6 and ----- (-----) Whitney:
iii. (daughter)7 Whitney, living 1848. iv. (daughter) Whitney, living 1848. v. (daughter) Whitney, living 1848.
Children of Sheldon Clark6 and Martha A. (Wilson) Whitney:
vi. Pleasant Lee Gilbert7 Whitney, b. 6 Nov 1839, Silas, AL; d. 30 Jul 1925, Bush, LA; m.(1) 17 Jan 1858, AL, Mary Bush; m.(2) 15 Mar 1874, Emmeline Taylor. Confederate soldier, 23rd and 32nd Regiments, Alabama Infantry. vii. Thomas F. Wilkes Whitney, b. 12 Feb 1843, Silas, AL; d. 18 Apr 1863. Confederate soldier, 32nd Regiment, Alabama Infantry. viii. James Martin Van Buren Whitney, b. 9 Jan 1845, Silas, AL; living 1870. ix. Sheldon Clark Whitney, b. 7 Jul 1848, Silas, AL; living 1880; m. Callie -----; res. Wayne Co., MS. ix. Martha Ann Whitney, b. said 1849; not in 1850 census.
Children of Martha A. (Wilson) Whitney, paternity unknown, in 1870 Census:
ix. Mary Whitney, b. ca. 1854, AL; d. after 1870. ix. Louisa Whitney, b. ca. 1856, AL; d. after 1870.
The last two daughters may have been by Martha's second husband, ----- Barrier or Thomas H. Barber.
- 1820: not found.
- 1830, Mobile Co., AL: S. ["L."] C. Whitney, 1 male 20-30 and 1 male 10-14, and 1 female slave 36-54.
- 1840, Washington Co., AL: S. ["L."] C. Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 0-4, and 1 female 20-29.
- 1850, Choctaw Co., AL:
600 Mrs. M. Whitny 30 F Ky --X Pleasant Whitny 12 M Ala --- Thos W. Whitny 10 M Ala --- Martin B. Whitny 8 M Ala --- S.C. Whitny 2 M Ala ---
151 151 Martha A. Barrier 40 F $200 $200 Kentucky Thomas Whitny 18 M Laborer Ala. Martin V. " 16 M " " Sheldon C. " 12 M "
229 229 Patsy Whitney 50 F W Keeping house NC Martin 25 M W Farm laborer AL Clark 21 M W Farm Laborer AL Mary 16 F W AL Louisa 4 F W AL
- L.D.S. International Genealogical Index.
- L.D.S. Pedigree Resource File.
- Civil War Soldier System, National Park Service.
- S. Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney Family of Connecticut, p. 339.