Family:Whitney, Solon (1810-1851)
Solon8 Whitney (Chester7, Aaron6, Nathan5, Nathan4, Thomas3, Thomas2, John1), son of Chester7 and Polly Waite (Green) Whitney, was born 1810, Waterbury, VT, and died 1851, Shockoken, IL.
He married firstly, 15 Jan 1833, Stowe, VT, Lucy B. Noble. She died about 1835.
He married secondly, Emeline Butler. She was born about 1814, NY, and died 1852.
He was born in Waterbury, VT, about 1810, and moved from that state to Illinois about 1835, where he was engaged in farming near Shockoken, in Henderson county, across the Mississippi river from Burlington, IA. He also owned a steam ferryboat and was engaged in ferrying the California emigrants across the river at that place in an early day. His first wife died childless soon after marriage. He died in 1851, leaving a widow and several small children, viz., Chester, Otis, and Emeline. In 1853 the children went to live with their uncle Baxter in Vermont. He died 1851; resided Shockoken, IL.
Solon8 and Lucy B. (Noble) Whitney had no children.
Children of Solon8 and Emeline (Butler) Whitney:
i. Elisha Green9 Whitney, b. ca. 1837, IN; d. young. ii. Amelia Whitney, b. ca. 1838, IN; d. young. iii. Mary Whitney, b. -----; d. young. Possibly the same as Ether, b. ca. 1839, IN, from the 1850 census. iv. Chester Whitney, b. 1840, IN; d. 1857; injured by falling on the ice. v. Otis Whitney, b. 30 Apr 1847; resided unmarried Cosmopolis, WA; d. 15 Nov 1916, Walla Walla, WA, aged 59 years 6 months 15 days. He was born in Shockoken, IL. His father dying when he was young he went to live with his uncle Baxter in Vermont. There he resided until 1866, when he moved to Riley, KS. In 1868 he engaged in farming on his own account. In the spring of 1873 he started for Arizona, where he arrived in August and at once engaged in farming and mining. Later he moved to Washington, where he has since resided. vi. Emeline Whitney, b. 4 Jul 1850, Shohocken, IL; d. 22 Dec 1882; m. 4 Jul 1868, Orlando B. Heath. Children (one d. young): a. Herbert J. Heath, b. -----. b. Clinton Otis Heath, b. -----. c. Orlando Baxter Heath, b. -----.
- 1840, Knight, Vanderburgh Co., IN: Solon Whitney, 1 male 30-39, 1 male 20-29, 1 male 0-4, 1 female 20-29, 1 female 10-14, and 1 female 0-4; 2 engaged in agriculture.
- 1850, Shokoken, Henderson Co., IL:
707 720 Solon Whitney 40 M - Ware House Keeper $1100 Vermont Emaline Whitney 36 F - N.Y. Amelia Whitney 12 F - Ind. Ether Whitney 11 F - Ind. Chester Whitney 10 M - Ind. Otis Whitney 3 M - Ill. Mary Guirey 11 F - Ind. William Guirey 7 M - Ind.
1460 1554 Baxter Whitney 48 M - Farmer $2700 $660 Vt. Mary A. " 46 F - do William W. " 20 M - Farming do Emeline B. " 16 F - do Attended school Arthur D. " 13 M - do Attended school Otis Whitney 13 M - do Attended school Emeline " 10 F - do Attended school
19 19 Whitney, Otis 24 M W Cooper $600 $400 Illinois Male citizen over 21 Kipp, Reuben 54 M W Cooper New York Male citizen over 21 " Anna 48 F W Keeping House New York " Julianna 18 F W Michigan " Norman 15 M W Michigan " George 14 M W Attending School Michigan " William 9 M W Michigan
- 1880, son Otis not found.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), pp. 536-537.
1.^ Vermont, Vital Records Index, Marriages.
Copyright © 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- Flagged Pages
- Needed Daughters
- Henderson County, Illinois
- Shockoken, Henderson County, Illinois
- Vanderburgh County, Indiana
- Knight, Vanderburgh County, Indiana
- Des Moines County, Iowa
- Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa
- Clay County, Kansas
- Republican, Clay County, Kansas
- Riley County, Kansas
- Riley, Riley County, Kansas
- Washington County, Vermont
- Stowe, Washington County, Vermont
- Waterbury, Washington County, Vermont
- Grays Harbor County, Washington
- Cosmopolis, Grays Harbor County, Washington