Family:Whitney, Thomas (1770-1863)
Thomas6 Whitney (Peter5, Josiah4, Josiah3, [prob.] Benjamin2, John1), son of Peter5 and Mercy (Case) Whitney, was born 18 Sep 1770, Ashford or Willington, CT, and died 6 Aug 1863, Mansfield, OH.
He married, 19 Sep 1799, Royalton, VT, or Windham, CT, Mary Taina Jennings, daughter of Captain Joseph and Mary (-----) Jennings. She was born 27 Apr 1777, Windham, CT, and died 12 May 1862, Mansfield, OH.
He was born in Tolland, CT, and in 1790 moved to Tunbridge, VT. Along in the thirties with his family he moved to Ohio and for a number of years lived near Danville, Knox County. Later they lived with their son John J. Whitney, who owned the first farm of two hundred acres east of Londonville, on the Wooster and Ashland roads. In 1856 after the sad death of their son, they went to live with their daughter Emily, Mrs. Robert Mchahan, in Londonville. Mrs. Whitney died there at the age of 83 years, and Mr. Whitney died at the home of his son Dr. B. F. Whitney, at Mansfield, at the advanced age of 96 years, and both are buried in the Londonville cemetery. They were considered very good old people, were members and founders of the Londonville Baptist church. He resided Tunbridge, VT, Randolph, VT, Mansfield, OH.
Children of Thomas6 and Mary Taina (Jennings) Whitney:
i. Wait7 Whitney, b. 29 Oct 1800; m. Barbara Burkholder. ii. Eli Whitney, b. 9 Aug 1802; d. 30 Dec 1826, West Hartford, VT; unmarried. He was a lawyer. iii. Daniel Whitney, b. 8 Jul 1804; d. 20 Dec 1829, NH; unmarried. iv. Eben Jennings Whitney, b. 6 Dec 1806; m. Sarah Boardman. v. John Jennings Whitney, b. 8 Nov 1813; m. Matilda Robeson. vi. Benjamin Franklin Whitney, b. 27 Feb 1815; m. Sarah Renfrew. vii. Emily Whitney, b. 5 Feb 1810; m. 23 Feb 1839, Robert McMahan; resided Portage, OH. He was a merchant. Children: a. Whitney McMahan, b. -----; res. Bowling Green, OH. viii. Marcy Maria Whitney, b. 6 May 1812; m.(1) 6 Sep 1860, Danville, OH, Joseph Sapp, a merchant, who was born in Jefferson County, OH, and d. OH; m.(2) 29 May 1863, Mansfield, OH, Elijah Bemis who was b. MA, d. Lyne, OH. She resided s. p. at Bowling Green, OH.
- 1800, Tunbridge, Orange Co., VT: Whitney, Thos., 1 male 26-44, 1 female 16-25, and 1 female 10-15.
- (prob.) 1810, Holland, Orleans Co., VT: Tho. Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 4 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, and 1 female 0-4.
- (prob.) 1820, Bethel, Windsor Co., VT: Thomas Whitney, 1 male over 45, 1 male 10-15, 2 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 10-15, and 1 female 0-9; 1 engaged in agriculture.
- (prob.) 1830, Hartford, Windsor Co., VT: Thomas Whitney, 1 male 50-59, 1 male 20-29, 1 male 15-19, 1 male 10-14, 1 male 5-9, 1 female 20-29, and 1 female 15-19.
- 1840: Probably living with son Benjamin in Loudenville, Richland Co., OH.
- 1850, Green, Ashland Co., OH:
325 326 John J. Whitney 37 M - Farmer Vermont Matilda Whitney 27 F - Ohio Attended school Agness Whitney 8 F - Ohio Attended school Thomas Whitney 6 M - Ohio Attended school Thomas Whitney 79 M - None Connecticut Tammy Whitney 77 F - Connecticut Normanda Workman 20 F - Ohio Archilbald Dugler 37 M - Farmer N.Y.
1313 1353 Robert McMahan 52 M - Miller $600 Md. Emily A. 50 F - Vt. Mary E. 20 " - O. Attended school Robert W. 17 M - " Attended school Thos. Whitney 89 " - Ct. Tommy 82 F - " Mary M. Sapp 47 " - Vt.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), pp. 205-206.
1.^ "Thomas [Whitney], s. Peter & Marcy, b. 18 Sep 1770," according to the Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, Willington B:7.
2.^ "Thomas [Whitney], m. Tammy JENNINGS, 19 Sep 1799, by Rev. Elijah WATERMAN, Windham First Congregational Church 1:290," according to the Index of Connecticut Church Records, Windham First Congregational Church 1:290. Also, "Thomas Whitney & Fanny Jennings, [married] 19 Sep. 1799," according to Bailey, Frederick W., ed., Early Connecticut Marriages, as Found on Ancient Church Records Prior to 1800 (1896-1906), Windham, 7:76.
Copyright © 2006, 2007, 2009-2011, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group
- Flagged Pages
- Needed Daughters
- Tolland County, Connecticut
- Tolland, Tolland County, Connecticut
- Windham County, Connecticut
- Ashford, Windham County, Connecticut
- Windham, Windham County, Connecticut
- New Hampshire
- Ashland County, Ohio
- Green, Ashland County, Ohio
- Londonville, Ashland County, Ohio
- Erie County, Ohio
- Lyme, Erie County, Ohio
- Jefferson County, Ohio
- Knox County, Ohio
- Danville, Knox County, Ohio
- Richland County, Ohio
- Mansfield, Richland County, Ohio
- Wood County, Ohio
- Bowling Green, Wood County, Ohio
- Portage, Wood County, Ohio
- Orange County, Vermont
- Tunbridge, Orange County, Vermont
- Orleans County, Vermont
- Holland, Orleans County, Vermont
- Windsor County, Vermont
- Bethel, Windsor County, Vermont
- Hartford, Windsor County, Vermont
- Randolph, Orange County, Vermont
- Royalton, Windsor County, Vermont
- West Hartford, Windsor County, Vermont