Family:Whitney, Truman (1818-1887)
Truman8 Whitney (Orange7, Ebenezer6, Ephraim5, Zachariah4, Ebenezer3, Richard2, John1), son of Orange7 and Clarissa (Swetland) Whitney, was born 18 Mar 1818, PA, and died 3 Dec 1887, Sherman, NY.
He married firstly, Jane Ransom, daughter of Rufus and Mercy (Combs) Ransom. She was born 4 Jul 1819, and died 4 Oct 1852, Sherman, NY.
He married secondly, before 1855, Mary Ann Gleason. She was born about 1825, Cortland Co., NY, and died after 1880. Her parents were both born in CT.
29 Aug 1888,
- "In the matter of the instrument propounded as and for the last Will and Testament of Truman Whitney deceased.
- "Satisfactory proof having been made of the due service of the citation heretofore issued in this matter, requiring the proper parties to be and appear beforethe Surrogate of the County of Chautauqua on the 5th day of March 1888 to attend the probate of the last Will and Testament of Truman Whitney late of the town of Ripley in the County of Chautauqua deceased, bearing date the 30th day of April 1887 and Hattie Parks Executor named in said Will the petitioner herein having appeared in person and by Van Dusen and Martin her Attorneys in support of the proof of same; and Charles E. Whitney and Mary Wilcox sole heirs at law of said deceased, having appeared in person and by A> B. Murray Esq. their Attorney and filed an answer in opposition thereto;
- "All witnesses having been examined and proos taken, and the said Surrogate having heard the proofs and allegations of the parties, and mature deliberation having been had thereon, and the matter having been adjourned to this day I find as facts, That the said Truman Whitney at the time of the execution of said instrument was of sound mid and memory and in all respects competent to execute the same and was not under any restrain or undue influence, and was of full age and that the same was properly executed witnessed and published as and for the last Will and Testament of the said Truman Whitney decease, and that the said instrument was properly and duly published and attested and subscribed as and for the last Will and Testament of the said deceased, in conformity with the statute in such case made and provided.
- "It is therefore Adjudged and Decreed that the said instrument is writing purporting to be the last Will and Testament of the said Truman Whitney deceased was properly executed and is genuine and valid, That the siad Truman Whitney at the time of the execution of said instrument was in all respects competent to execute the same and was not under any restraint or undue influence, and that the said instrument be and the same is admitted to probate and established as a will of real and personal estate, and that the objections to the probate thereof be and are herby dismissed as unproven and unsustained.
- "And it is further Ordered and Adjudged that the said Mary Wilcox and Charles E. Whitney contestants, pay to the said Hattie Parks Executrix of said will the sum of seventy two dollars personally for her costs and expenses upon the probate of said Will in the proceedings herein therefor. ...."
- "The lst Will and Testament of Truman Whitney of teh Town of Ripley Countyof Chautauqua and State of New York.
- "I, Truman Whitney being of sound mind and memory, and of the uncertainty of life and the certainty of death and bing desirous of making an equitable and proper disposition of my property at my decease, I do make ordain publish and declare this to be my last Will and Testament in manner and form following that is to say:
- "First. I give to my adopted son William Hodge Whitney my corner lot containing about (3 1/4() three and one fourth acres of land together with all the appurtenances thereto belonging situate in the Town of Ripley County of Chautauqua and State of New York it being a part of Lot No. 45 in the Third Township and Fifteenth Range S, the said William Hodge Whitney to have the possission of said discribed property when he shall have arrived at the ge of twenty one years.
- "Second. I give the use of the above described property to my niece Hattie Park to apply toward paying any debt or debts that may be against me at the time of my decease, and after paying such debts the said Hattie Parks may use the remainder of such monies received for rent on said place for the benefit of said illiam Hodge Whitney for clothing or any other way she may think proper.
- "Third. I give devise and bequeath all my farm in the town of Ripley County and State above descibed now remaining in my right it being a prat of Lot No (45) Fourty five ain the Third Township and Fifteenth Range, it being the sam parcel of land bought by me of Cyrel Hannum bearing date July 28th (1860) one thousand eight hundred and sixty, recorded March 20 1869, in Liber 12 of Deed page 155m, except such parcels of lands as I have heretofore sold, 5 1/2 acres to Mrs. Eunice Ransom, three acres 1 1/2 each to Hattie Parks and 1 1/2 acres to Addie Parks, 1 1/2 acres to Mary WIlcox, and 3 1/4 acres conveyed in this instrument to William Hodge Whitney, the amount of land conveyed in this instrument is twenty seven acres be the same more or less. I hereby further give and bequeath all my personal property of every kind and nature to my niece Hattie Parks togetheer with all debts due me or that may become due to me after she shall have paid all debts against me or my estate.
- "Likewise. I make constitute and appoint Hattie Parks of the town of Ripley County of Chautauqua and State of New York to be my executrix of this my last Will and Testament, hereby revoking al former Wills by me made.
- "In Witness Whereof I Have hereunto subscribed my name and affixed my seal the 30th day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty seven
- "Truman Whitney, L.S."
- Witnessed by N. W. Brown and M. C. Brown, both of Sherman, N.Y.
Children of Truman8 and Jane (Ransom) Whitney:
i. Martha J.9 Whitney, b. Sep 1842, Sherman, NY; d. 5 Oct 18142, Sherman, NY. ii. David G.9 Whitney, b. Apr 1844, Sherman, NY; d. 18 Mar 1845, Sherman, NY. iii. Mary A.9 Whitney, b. 31 Aug 1845. Sherman, NY; d. 1927, Ripley, NY; m.(1) 20 Dec 1866, Ripley, NY, Albert W. Wilson, d. 21 Nov 1867, Westfield, NY; m.(2) 25 Aug 1870, Ripley, NY, Wallace William Wilcox. iv. Charles Emmett Whitney, b. 4 Oct 1847, Sherman, NY; d. 31 Aug 1929, Marion, OR; m. Sarah M. "Sadie" Warner. v. David N.9 Whitney, b. 1850, Sherman, NY; d. 11 Nov 1854, Sherman, NY.
Children of Truman8 and Mary Ann (Gleason) Whitney, if any, unknown.
vi. Harriet E. Parks, b. ca. 1837, OH; d. aft. 1920; adopted about 1843. Parents born England and NY. vii. Addie [?Parks?], b. ca. 1842, OH; d. aft. 1880. Parents born England and NY. viii. William Hodge alias William Hodge Whitney, b. 23 Oct 1871, Chautauqua Co., NY; d. 19 Jul 1940, Independence, IA; m. 10 May 1891, Aurora, IA, Carrie Lucretia Miller.
221 221 Truman Whitney 39 M - F[armer] $450 Pa. Jane Whitney 31 F - N.Y. Mary 5 F - " Attended school Charles E. 3 M - " Harriet Parks 13 F - O. Attended school
138 Frame $200 143 Truman Whitney 37 M - - Pa. 1 - 17 Farmer 1 - - - - 1 - Mary Ann Whitney 30 F - Wife Courtland Co. 1 - 28 - - - - - - - - Harriet E. Parks 18 F - AdCh Ohio - - 12 - - - - - - - - Mary A. Whitney 9 F - Dau Chaut. Co. - - 9 - - - - - - - - Charles E. Whitney 7 M - Son " - - 7 - - - - - - - -
111 -- Truman Whitney 42 M - Farmer $500 Pa. Mary A. Do 35 F - N.Y. Mary A. Do 14 F - child " Attended school Charles Do 12 M - " " Attended school Harriet Parks 23 F - Housework Ohio
147 Frame ---- 157 Truman Whitney 47 M - ---- Pa. - 2 1 - - Farming 1 - - - 1 - - - - - - Mary Whitney 40 F - Wife Courtland - 1 1 - - Mary Whitney 19 F - Chld Chautauqua - - - - 1 Charles Whitney 17 M - Chld Chautauqua - - - - 1 Harrett Burke 28 F - Niec Ohio - - - - 1
38 35 Whitney, Truman 51 M W Farmer $2000 $400 Penn. Male citizen over 21 -----, Mary 45 F " Keeping House N.Y. Parrish, Hattie 33 " " Dress Maker Ohio Farwell, Frank 12 M W School Penn. Attended school
297 Framed $300 307 Truman Whitney 57 M - ---- Penna. m Farmer - 1 - - 1 - Mary A. Whitney 50 F - Wife Conn. m - Frank C. Folwell 17 M - Hird Penna. s Farm Laborer Hattie Parks 40 F - Niec Ohio s Dress Maker
Truman WHITNEY 62 Self M M W PA Farmer PA PA Mary WHITNEY 55 Wife F M W NY Keeping House CT CT Hattie WHITNEY 43 Dau F S W OH At Home ENG NY Addie WHITNEY 38 Dau F S W OH ENG NY William HODGE 8 Othe M S W NY --- ---
How Addie was a daughter is not known. She may have been a sister of Harriet E. Parks, who was a niece of Truman and Mary Ann (Gleason) Whitney.
- Wyllys Cadwell Ransom, Historical outline of the Ransom family of America, Volume 2, pp. 379, 381.
1.^ New York, Wills and Probate Records, 1659-1999, from Ancestry.com.
Copyright © 2011, 2016, 2020, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.