Family:Whitney, Willard Southwick (1821-1909)
Dr. Willard Southwick7 Whitney (John6, Matthias5, Joshua4, Cornelius3, Joshua2, John1), son of John6 and Christana (Stafford) Whitney, was born 27 Sep 1821, Hancock, MA, and died 2 Apr 1909, Pontiac, MI.
He married firstly, 1 Feb 1843, or 27 Feb 1844, Chili, NY, Mary Ann Whiting, daughter of John Foster and Roxanna (Dickinson) Whiting. She was born 14 Nov 1821, Guilford, NY, and died 1854.
He married secondly, 1855, Batavia, NY, Mary Ann Putnam. She was born about 1826, Chenango Co., NY, and died 1860.
He married thirdly, 1 Jun 1861, PA, Mary Jane Raymond, daughter of Daniel and Amanda (Freeland) Raymond. She was born 11 Sep 1838, Potter Co., PA, and died 28 Sep 1916, Pontiac, MI.
- "WILLARD S. WHITNEY, M.D., medical practitioner at Big Rapids, was born Sept. 27, 1821, at Hancock, Berkshire Co., Mass., and is the son of John and Christiana (Stafford) Whitney. His father was a farmer and he was trained to that occupation until he was 20 years old. In 1835 his parents removed to Elba, Genesee Co., N.Y., and in 1841 he became a clerk in a general store, where he worked several years, meanwhile reading medicine as opportunity presented. Afterwards he was variously occupied until 1854, when he formed a partnership with John F. Baker, M.D., of Batavia, N.Y., in January, 1856. In 1858 he attended a medical institute at Buffalo, N.Y. He practiced his profession and attended lectures alternately until 1868, when he was graduated at the Homeopathic Medical College, at Cleveland, Ohio. He was in practice at Lansing, Mich., five years, and at Lockport, N.Y., three years. In 1872 he returned to Michigan and located at Big Rapids, where he established himself permanently in business. He is one of the most popular physicians of Big Rapids, and is doing an annual business of $5,000.
- "Dr. Whitney was married in Monroe Co., N.Y., to Mary A. Whiting, born in 1882 (sic) One son was born of this marriage, Willard A., now a practicing physician at Big Rapids (see sketch). The mother died in 1854, and Dr. Whitney was again married in September, 1855, at Batavia, N.Y., to Mary A. Putnam. She survived until 1860. the present wife of Dr. Whitney, to whom he married June 1, 1861, was Mary Jane, daughter of Daniel and Amanda Raymond, born in Potter Co., Pa., Sept. 11, 1838. They have one daughter, Clara Amanda, born Feb. 8, 1878, at Big Rapids, Mich.
- "Dr. Whitney owns his own residence and a dwelling adjoining, four lots in various parts of the city, and a farm of 100 acres on sec. 13, Big Rapids, Tp. He is a member of the Odd Fellows Order, the fraternity of Masonry and the Royal Templars of Temperance, in which cause he is earnestly interested."
He resided Big Rapids, MI.
Children of Willard Southwick7 and Mary Ann (Whiting) Whitney:
i. Willard Adolphus8 Whitney, b. 14 Dec 1843, Clifton, NY; m. Lizzie E. Clark.
Willard Southwick7 and Mary Ann (Putnam) Whitney had no children.
Children of Willard Southwick7 and Mary Jane (Raymond) Whitney:
ii. Clara Amanda Whitney, b. 8 Feb 1878; resided Big Rapids.
136 136 Willard Whitney 29 M - Fownder $1500 Mass. Mary A. " 28 F - " Adolfus W. " 5 M - " Attended school Thomas Car 26 " - Smith Ireland
124 Brick $1500 124 Willard S. Whitney 32 M - - Mass. 1 - 1 Miller 1 - - - - 1 - Mary A. Whitney 31 F - Wife Chenango 1 - 1 - - - - - - - - Adolphus Whitney 10 M - Chld Monroe - - 1 - - - - - - - - J. L. Potter 29 M - Brdr Conn. 1 - Merchant 1 - - - - 1 - Hannah H. Potter 26 F - Wife Monroe 1 - - - - - - - - - Noah Hastings 23 M - Brdr Orleans - - 23 Miller 1 - - - - - - Daniel R. Ballou 25 M - Brdr Chenango - - 23 Carpenter 1 - - - - - - Samuel Syckles 33 M - Brdr Monroe - - 1 Fireman 1 - - - - - - Delie Sharkey 17 F - Brdr N.Y. City - - - - - - - - - - -
168 168 Willard S. Whitney 37 M - Physician $2000 $1200 Mass. Mary 34 F - New York Adolphus 15 M - Do Attended school
90 92 Rushmore, Mary 44 F W Teacher $2500 -- Vermont " William 12 M " At School New York Attended school Whitney, Willard 48 " " Physician Mass. Male citizen over 21 Benton, Lucinda 51 F " New York Whitney, Mary J. 32 " " Keeps House Penn.
Willard S. WHITNEY 58 Self M M W MA Physician MA MA Mary J. WHITNEY 41 Wife F M W PA Keep House MA MA Clara A. WHITNEY 2 Dau F S W MI MA PA
- 1900, Big Rapids Ward 1, Mecosta Co., MI: W. S. Whitney and wife Mary Jane.
- All data imported from Frederick Clifton Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635, (Chicago: 1895), p. 398.
1.^ 1883 Portrait & Biographical Album of Mecosta Co., Michigan, p. 533.
Copyright © 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2017, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- Berkshire County, Massachusetts
- Hancock, Berkshire County, Massachusetts
- Mecosta County, Michigan
- Big Rapids, Mecosta County, Michigan
- Oakland County, Michigan
- Pontiac, Oakland County, Michigan
- New York
- Genesee County, New York
- Batavia, Genesee County, New York
- Monroe County, New York
- Chili, Monroe County, New York
- Niagara County, New York
- Lockport, Niagara County, New York