Family:Whitney, William E. (c1770-1858)
Marriage intentions were published 20 Jul and 5 Aug 1799, Clinton, ME, for him and his first wife, Sarah Brackett "both of Twenty Five Mile Pond Settlement", daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Bangs) Brackett. She was born May 1795, Gorham, ME, and died 9 Apr 1819, Alfred, ME.
He married secondly, Mary -----. She was born about 1801, ME, and died after 1850.
Resided Orleans Co., NY.
In 1817, resided near Clarendon, NY, along with Daniel Brackett, Sarah Whitney, Sarah Brackett.
From History of Clarendon (Orleans Co., NY), p. 174 (Barre Road): In 1819 Zebulon Packard moved into a cabin he purchased from Elder William Whitney on what is now known as Packard road, just to the north of the school house at Manning or Lawton's Corners.
Children of William E.6 and Sarah (Brackett) Whitney:
i. Abram7 Whitney, b. ca. 1815, ME; m. Sarah -----. ii. Elijah Ward Whitney, b. 27 Mar 1816, Orleans Co., NY, or ca. 1815, ME; m. Olive M. Davis. iii. Elias Whitney, b. ca. 1819, NY or IL; m. Clarcy Hough.
Children of William E.6 and Mary (-----) Whitney:
i. (prob.) William7 Whitney, b. ca. 1829, ME; d. Jan 1850, Kendall Co., IL, aged 21 years, of brain disease, a farmer, unmarried. ii. Catherine Whitney, b. ca. 1833, ME.
The age of William Whitney in the 1850 census record below seems wrong. He is more likely to have been 81 rather than 21. This means that the William of the census record is Rev. William E. Whitney, and not a son. Also, William E. Whitney is not found elsewhere in that census year. On the other hand the 1850 Mortality Schedules, Illinois, list a William Whitney who died in Kendall Co., IL, aged 21 years, male, born in Maine, died in Jan 1850, a farmer, of brain disease (see below). This is likely to be a son, who died soon enough not to appear in the 1850 Population Schedules.
Sarah (Brackett) Whitney was a descendant of "Mayflower" passenger William Brewster in the following way:
- William Brewster, m. Mary -----
- Patience Brewster, m. Thomas Prence
- Mercy Prence, m. John Freeman
- Thomas Freeman, m. Rebecca Sparrow
- Mercy Freeman, m. Paul Sears
- Anna Sears, m. Ebenezer Bangs
- Barnabas Bangs, m. Loruhamah Elwell
- Sarah Bangs, m. Joseph Brackett
- Sarah Brackett, m. William E. Whitney
- 1820, China, Genesee Co., NY: William Whitney, 1 male 26-44, 2 males 18-25, 2 males 10-15, 3 males 0-9, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 10-15, and 2 females 0-9; 5 engaged in agriculture.
- 1830, Murray, Orleans Co., NY: William Whitney, 1 male 40-49, 1 male 15-19, 2 males 10-14, 1 female 40-49, and 1 female 10-14.
- 1850, La Fox, Kendall Co., IL:
56 56 William Whitney 21 M - Farmer Maine Mary 49 F - " Catharine 17 F - "
1.^ "William [Whittney], and Sally Brackett, both of Twenty Five Mile Pond Settlement, int. 20 July 1799. [cert. issued 5 Aug.]," according to Fisher, Carleton Edward, comp., Vital records of Clinton, Maine, to the year 1892: births, marriages, and deaths ([S.l.]: published under authority of the Maine Historical society, 1967), pp. 302-303.