Family:Whitney, Sophia (1774-1816)
She married, 28 Nov 1799, Brooklyn, CT, Capt. Elisha Lord as his second wife, son of Dr. Elisha and Athalia (Ripley) Lord. He was born 20 Dec 1759, Pomfret, CT, and died 10 Sep 1826, Pomfret, CT. He had married firstly, 6 Dec 1792, Brooklyn, CT, Lucy Danielson, daughter of William and Sarah (Williams) Danielson, born 11 Oct 1764, Killingly, CT, and died 22 Apr 1796, Brooklyn, CT.
Elisha Lord was a descendant of Gov. William Bradford, Mayflower passenger, in the following line:
- Gov. William Bradford, m. Alice Carpenter
- William Bradford, m. Alice Richards
- Hannah Bradford, m. Joshua Ripley
- David Ripley, m. Lydia Cary
- Athalia Ripley, m. Elisha Lord
- Elisha Lord, m.(2) Sophia5 Whitney
Children of Capt. Elisha and Lucy (Danielson) Lord:
i. William Danielson Lord, b. 20 Apr 1796, Brooklyn, CT; d. 6 Jul 1801, Brooklyn, CT.
Children of Capt. Elisha and Sophia5 (Whitney) Lord, probably incomplete:
ii. Lucy Lord, b. 12 Oct 1800, Brooklyn, CT; d. 4 Nov 1800, Brooklyn, CT. iii. Elisha Lord, b. ca. 1805, Brooklyn, CT; m.(1) 4 May 1829, Pomfret, CT, Dolly Sumner Dresser; m.(2) 14 Sep 1846, Pomfret, CT, Arethusa Janes. iv. Robert Lord, b. ca. 1807, Brooklyn, CT; no further record.
- Pomfret VRs
- Brooklyn VRs
- Killingly VRs
- L.D.S. International Genealogical Index
- Frederick C. Pierce, The Descendants of John Whitney, Who Came from London, England, to Watertown, Massachusetts, in 1635 (Chicago, IL: The Author, 1895), p. 61.
1.^ Her parentage is proven by her birth record.
3.^ "Sophia [Whitney], m. Elisha LORD, 28 Nov 1799," according to the Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, Brooklyn 1:70. Also, "Capt. Elishan LORD & Sophia WHITNEY, [married] 28 Nov. 1799," according to Bailey, Frederick W., ed., Early Connecticut Marriages, as Found on Ancient Church Records Prior to 1800 (1896-1906), Brookllyn, 1:44.