Family:Whitney, Hezekiah Wells (1822-a1880)
Hezekiah Wells7 Whitney (Charles6, Walter5, Samuel4, Richard3, John2, Henry1), son of Charles6 and Jane (White) Whitney, was born 5 May 1822, Albany, NY, and died after 1880.
He married, 1 Jul 1844, Union Village, Greenwich, NY, Melissa (Tefft) Shepard, daughter of William Daniel and Mary (Kenyon) Tefft. She was born 6 Jul 1818, Union Village, Greenwich, NY, and died after 1900. She had married firstly, Samuel Shepard, of Union Village.
Phoenix says the following:
- ". . . a harness-maker . . . . He settled in Albany; went thence, in 1845, to Argyle, N.Y.; returned to Albany in 1848, to Argyle in 1851, and to Albany again in 1854; moved thence, in 1862, to Lasselville, N.Y.; and finally settled, 1 Oct. 1863, in Oswego, N.Y., where he lived in 1875, at 86 West Cayuga Street. He enlisted, 15 Aug. 1864, in Co., D, 184th Reg., N.Y. Volunteers, and served till mustered out, 30 June 1865, at City Point, Va."
Children of Hezekiah Wells7 and Melissa (Tefft) Whitney:
i. Charles Albert8 Whitney, b. 1 Jun 1845, in Swan Street, Albany, NY; d. 5 Dec 1846, Argyle, NY, where he was buried in the old burial-ground. ii. James Stillman Whitney, b. 20 Feb 1848, Argyle, NY; d. 8 Feb 1872, Oswego, NY, of consumption, where he was buried in the Oswego Rural Cemetery; m. 5 Jan 1871, Oswego, NY, Ellen Eliza Smith, daughter of James and Eliza (-----) Smith, b. ca. 1850, Oswego, NY; d. 13 Feb 1872, Oswego, NY, of typhoid fever, where she was buried in the old 5th Street Cemetery; a harness-maker. They had no children. iii. William Henry Eugene Whitney, b. 20 Feb 1851, at 83 North Pearl Street, Albany, NY; a harness-maker; lived with his parents, at Oswego, NY, unmarried, in 1874; not found in 1880. iv. Frank Tefft Whitney, b. 28 Jul 1853, Argyle, NY; m. Catherine Lawson McGill. v. Blanche Louise Whitney, b. 20 Feb 1861, Troy, NY; lived at Oswego, NY, in 1880, then unmarried.
893 1685 Hezakiah W. Whitney 48 M - Letter Carrier N.Y. Malisa " 32 F - do James S. " 2 M - do Johana O Locklan 17 F - Ireland Hellin Law 40 F - Scotland Geneta Law 38 F - do Cathern O Locklan 19 F - Ireland
193 Framed $500 207 Hezekiah Whitney 33 M - - Albany 1 - 2 Harness & Co. 1 - - - - 1 - Melissa Whitney 36 F - Wife Washington 1 - 2 - - - - - - - - James S. Whitney 7 M - Son Washington - - 2 - - - - - - - - Henry E. Whitney 4 M - - Albany - - 2 - - - - - - - - Frank Whitney 1 M - - Washington - - 1 - - - - - - - -
315 413 Hezekiah W. Whitney 39 M - Sadler $300 N.Y. Melissa " 42 F - " James S. " 12 M - " Attended school Henry E. " 9 M - " Attended school Frank T. " 7 M - " Attended school
60 72 Whitney, Ezikiah 48 M W Sadler $400 New York Male citizen over 21 -----, Melissa 52 F W Keeping house New York -----, James 22 M W Sadler New York Male citizen over 21 -----, Henry E. 20 M W Laborer New York -----, Frank F. 17 M W Laborer New York 73 Wilbur, Henry 25 M W Stone Mason $150 New York Male citizen over 21 -----, Eliza 23 F W Keeping house New York -----, George 4 M W New York Whitney, Frances 7 F W New York Attended school
H. W. WHITNEY 58 Self M M W NY Harness Maker NY NY Matissie WHITNEY 61 Wife F M W NY Dress Maker NY RI Blanch L. WHITNEY 19 Dau F S W NY Dress Ma. NY NY
- 1880, William not found.
- 1900, 105 Cayuga Street, Oswego Ward 1, Oswego Co., NY:
188 189 Whitney, Melissa Head W F Jul 1818 81 wid 54 4ch 2liv New York New York Rhode Island Housekeeper, House
- All data imported from Stephen Whitney Phoenix, The Whitney family of Connecticut, and its affiliations; being an attempt to trace the descendants, as well in the female as the male lines, of Henry Whitney, from 1649 to 1878; to which is prefixed some account of the Whitneys of England. (New York : Priv. Print. [Bradford Press] 1878), p. 679 and p. 1482.
1.^ "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910," from original records held by the Massachusetts Archives. Online database: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2004; volume 491, page 100.
Copyright © 2009, 2012, 2015, 2016, Robert L. Ward and the Whitney Research Group.
- New York
- Albany County, New York
- Albany, Albany County, New York
- Fulton County, New York
- Lassellsville, Fulton County, New York
- Oswego County, New York
- Oswego, Oswego County, New York
- Rensselaer County, New York
- Troy, Rensselaer County, New York
- Washington County, New York
- Argyle, Washington County, New York
- Greenwich, Washington County, New York